The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+62
[ s y n n e ]
chelseac89
AustinL
mswan1
kielbasaSausage1
BCallison
Eric
LWhite1
CassieG
gargigodbole
julie_m1
maxr409
Alyssa
GabyA
mar89
JanaeNae
the_huffanator
sierrasmiles
Julie N
Tsprague6
mrose
nfait
Celia
bri fej
mhandf12
I.Phillips
LeighAnne
christinaJ
andrewh
hannahc
Sophiachow
melissac1
LeN
ANunn1
Gina44
kjones4
NataliaJones
Buttermore
Marielle66
knina
elanafink1
AnnaL
kevinb
JohnN
JeffAlmario
nicklake
Goodman
abdi4
cathyP
ssawa
emramos
cathycal8
LukeUlrich42
Monika
DieaEruP.2
brittanyS1
Edunn116
phNguyen
Sullivan4
jalessanoel
Jess.M.Period1
Admin
66 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2006-09-06

PostSubject: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2006 7:04 pm

Hi Folks,

On this thread, please share a reaction to, or insight into, Ibsen's Hedda Gabler. Feel free to talk about one of the characters, a major theme, a vivid symbol, or the significance of a key scene. I look forward to reading your ideas on this topic.

Mr. Kelso
Back to top Go down
https://kelsoapenglish.editboard.com
Jess.M.Period1

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2006 10:53 pm

Well, Hedda is definitely a character!! She is CRAZY! I think that Ibsen is a genius to create such a layered, deep, complex character. As much as I hate to admit it, I do have a small admiration for Hedda. For a woman during that time period she really is a groundbreaker- moving away from the firm mould society has forced upon women.
I also strongly believe that she is cruel and I find myself asking why she is like this. What has happened to her that she can feel little for others? Was it lack of nurture? Was she dropped on her head when she was a baby? For someone to enjoy hurting and manipulating the elderly, there must be something wrong.
I think that the closest thing she has to a healthy relationship is to Eilert. While she is talking to him, you see her opening up and becoming more human.
There is so much more to discuss and analyze! But, I am tired so....
Back to top Go down
jalessanoel

jalessanoel

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 12:19 am

Call me crazy, but i love this chick! Male dominance is so sterotypical so its nice to see some variety, especially for a 19th century piece. I have to say that my favorite line was "That's great I really dont care..." (act I) If i was Hedda's husband, that woman's attitude would be enough to convince me to sign the prenup on day one.
Back to top Go down
Sullivan4

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 10:02 am

Hedda seems like a modern day woman who was stuck in the past. Today, it seems like this is looked on as completely normal for some women. Hedda isn't afraid to speak her mind, but she's smart enough to know when to keep quiet to gain information. She's got street smarts and knows how to play the cards in her favor.
Back to top Go down
phNguyen

phNguyen

Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 3:36 pm

I think Hedda Gabler is exquisite, her comments and mannerism the most attractive. However, she somewhat disappoints me. Mr. Kelso and Ibsen builds her image up so intense, but when it came to act II, I found out she was nothing but a coward. Sure she shoots her pistols, but I bet she never killed anyone before. To me, her usual attitude towards people hints that she has been hurt before so she now has to guard her feelings against outsiders. Also, dragging Thea, a weak and seemingly innocent girl, off makes Hedda look weak. So my conclusion of Hedda is: she is not that hardcore according to my standards of course.
Back to top Go down
Edunn116

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 5:09 pm

Hedda is definitely different then I expected. I cant decide whether to like her or not. I mean she is rude but a part of me sees her as being powerful and just knows how to play her cards right. She has the power and the personality to treat anyone the way she wants and people still obey and respect her for that. I wish I could do that! Another thing that makes it even more funny is that this takes place during the 1900's where behavior like that is absurd! Im really enjoying the play though. She is quite the character.
Back to top Go down
brittanyS1

PostSubject: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 5:52 pm

Hedda Gabler is manipulative, rude, mean and could care less for the emotions of those around her. While reading this, I am just amazed by how mean she can be. However, despite all of this, I still find myself saying "you go girl!" at times just because she is such a great character to watch. She has the strength, intelligence and confidance to say whatever is on her mind in order to get what she wants.
I do feel a little bad for George Tesman though, because he seems like he is trying his best to please her. He is naive and clueless...and perhaps in denial. The fact that he actually believes that his book in progress will be as intriguing to everyone as it is to him and that he thinks that Hedda really loves their house, is enough to make me pat him on the shoulder and say "there there..."

Jalessa, that line was classic!
Back to top Go down
DieaEruP.2

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 6:14 pm

Personally, I greatly dislike Hedda. Her behavior towards others is rather unacceptably harsh and cold. She is the kind of person everyone should avoid at all cost. I don't see how it is even humanly possible to insult people the way she does, and go about unregretful. When I found out she had purposely and consciously threw out the remark about the bonnet, I became completely and utterly disgusted with her.
Her need to feel superior to others is a very low characteristic and the way she goes about doing so is even worse. She feels that she married below her, which may be true economically speaking; however, in no way, shape, or form character wise. Quite frankly she doesn't deserve her husband as he is a decent fellow and she is a despicable creature.
I would never associate myself with her in any way; her character is very petty and deserves only the attention of petty people. With her character I am unable to picture anyone as beautiful as they describe, maybe nice features but with a harsh look to it.
Back to top Go down
Monika

Monika

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 6:14 pm

At first I thought that Hedda was really great and I could totally relate to her...until she just started talking about George behind his back and being just plain mean to that poor girl and of course when I found out that she had a thing for someone else but married George anyways. It seems to me that if she were really as powerful as she seems she never would have gotten into the lame marriage to begin with. She shouldn't have to talk bad about others behind their backs; she should be about to say things to their faces. I really don't see what she gets out of it, there really isn't much power in gossip unless you start a rumor or something. It just seems like she does many things that are very unnessary and also careless which don't do anything useful for her and make her lose power.
So, I definitely agree with Phi that she isn't that hardcore.
Back to top Go down
LukeUlrich42

LukeUlrich42

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 6:22 pm

Hedda Gabler is a manipulative, cold, and heartless woman. Her irritation and dissatisfaction with her husband and the fact that there is unrequited love in their marriage lend to postulation that she will do soemthing to hurt him. Her flirtatious and dishonorable nature shows her lack of character, and if anything adverse should come of her in the play, I would not protest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/welcometotheranch
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2006-09-06

PostSubject: Bravo!   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 8:19 pm

My theory holds true. Give students great works of literature and they write great responses. My hat is off to everyone who has, so far, responded on this thread. Keep up the terrific work. bounce

Mr. K
Back to top Go down
https://kelsoapenglish.editboard.com
cathycal8

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Hedda is a smart character who knows how to munipulate people into seeing things her way. She is fearless, unpredictable, and very frank in her actions and I really like her for that. She is not your average 19th century woman. She wears the pants in her relationship and is not afraid of her husband who is so naive. I admire her for the way she is but at the same time she is not someone I would like to be friends with because of her backstabbing ways.
Back to top Go down
emramos

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 9:38 pm

I think it is foolish to say that Hedda Gabler is not mean. Yes she is honest and no matter how much you admire her veracity you cannot easily say that this mean that she is notmean. Hedda Gabler is a cruel person who cares only for herself and chooses to manipulate others at their expense. So yes she is mean and I dislike her as a person but as a character I thoroughly enjoy her. It is like a train wreck that you can't take your eyes off. Her demeanor gives me chills but it is facinating to read as I am drawn in early awaiting to see what happens next. It is refreshing to see someone like her as a central role and a woman for that matter. I do not have to liek her to enjoy her. It is a love/hate relationship and I fear for the break-up. I may cringe at parts of the play but secretly (or not so secretely) I enjoy every minute of her company.
Back to top Go down
ssawa

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 9:43 pm

I like the character of Hedda. She is a blunt mean person and isn't trying to hide it. She obviously changes with different people, but who doesn't do that. I think she is one of the more real characters in any of the books we have read so far. Everyone knows a person that is like Hedda and thats why they hate her.
Back to top Go down
cathyP

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 10:24 pm

I actually love Hedda's character; she is mean, deceptive and smart. I love how she is smart and uses it to her advantage to get what she wants. She is capable to alter her personality to manipulate others around her. She knows how she must act around certain people. She shows no respect for her husband and treats him like crap. On the other hand with Judge Brack she is a little flirtatious and polite, knowing that he has money and possibly vulnerable to manipulate later on. Though I love Hedda's character I would hate her if I had someone like her in my life.
Back to top Go down
abdi4

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 11:00 pm

Hedda Galer is a woman of intelligence. She can manipulate the mind of anyone to get what she wants out of them, then they get tossed aside not knowing what just happened to them. She is a woman in a family of happy people while she grew up with a military man. So she is not going to be a relaxed person. She lays down the rules and everyone follows them. Like a grown person in a room full of kids.
Back to top Go down
Goodman

Goodman

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 11:30 pm

Hedda is virtueless. She is very manipulative and always gets what she wants. Don't $%#& with a b***h with guns!
Back to top Go down
nicklake

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 pm

Hedda is definately a strong character, but its only because she is a total bitch. She will use people until she gets everything she can out of them, and then that will be it. I mean there is something to be said about knowing what you want and getting it, but if its at the expense of everyone else, whats the point? People can only give you so much and then your left alone and unhappy. Sooner or later thats what will happen to Hedda, and I would laugh in her face if I could. hahaHA. just like that...
Back to top Go down
JeffAlmario

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2006 12:49 am

Hedda is definitely a strong character as many have already stated. The way she uses this strength is controversial in many ways though. She is steadfast in her beliefs which can agitate others. In addition to this, she has immense confidence in herself and seems as if she is superior to everyone. She uses her strengths wisely to squeeze what she wants out of people.
Back to top Go down
JohnN

JohnN

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2006 9:59 am

Hedda has definately taken the role as the "man of the house". Shes is exactly the type of woman that takes things into her own hands, and I must admit, she does it well. She is truly the puppet master and as of yet, hasn't had a person that she could not manipulate. I don't know if it is simply due to her own nature or if it is due to how she was raised, but she is a woman of steel.

I think that Hedda would be the ideal person in the business world. She knows how to act in every situation, she dictates and reaches her own goals, and most of all, she does it under the radar and gains no suspicion. I just feel sorry for the people that she seems to be victimizing, especially George. Then again, how in the world did George get married to her in the first place? There seems to be little chemistry between them, but I suppose it could have been normal during their time.
Back to top Go down
kevinb

kevinb

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2006 1:59 pm

I think Hedda is very manipulative. She always wants to have things her way and she is unhappy when she doesn't. I think she uses people for her own benefit and she doesn't feel any remorse for what she does. For example, she makes a comment about Ms. Tesman's bonnet and pretends to think that it is the servants, so she can taunt the poor lady. Also, she uses Mrs. Elvsted to her advantage so she can find out more about what has happened to Eilert Lovborg and pry on her business because it interests her. Even though she is married, she doesn't show any love or care for her husband but her husband doesn't notice. She only pretends to care about him to get away with burning Lovborg's manuscript.
Back to top Go down
AnnaL

Registration date : 2006-09-19

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2006 2:03 pm

I hate to admit it but I actually really like and admire Hedda. She is so straightforward, blunt, and rude and you never really get to see this type of a character portrayed in many novels. She belongs in modern society because she doesn't give into male dominance in a relationship. For a woman of her time, I was surprised at how open she is about obviously being the one who is wearing the pants in the relationship. I like how she isn't afraid to speak her mind or hide her emotions from others, especially when she is mad or just doesn't give a damn. She is a very deceptive character; every move she makes is made to benefit her in someway. She uses her skills very wisely and is good at it.
Back to top Go down
elanafink1

elanafink1

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2006 5:37 pm

First, Hedda Gabbler appears to just be strong-willed and rude yet as the play progresses (especially throughout the Third Act) she seems more and more psychotic. Her interest in the affairs of Lovborg have turned into obsessions and her actions are becoming more and more harmful to not only others around her but herself as well. I have a bad feeling about her position by the end of the novel, partially due to the fact that my mother might've accidently leaked some vital information when I informed her of the play that we were reading.
But I do happen to agree with Hedda when he refers to Thea as a blockheaded twit.

I guess I'm just harsh. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
knina

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2006 10:47 am

Hedda is an intelligent, witty woman. She takes care of business and is strong in her aspirations. She loves to scheme and play games with other people. She could also be downright cold to others and be hurtful but the incident with Aunt Julia shows that she could also retract her statements and be nice. I also believe that her father played a huge role on how her personality developed. It was Mr. Gabler who might have introduced guns to her and the idea of heroism. She also can get quite jealous, especially with Thea. Yet she’s a victim to her own intentions. Her plans backfired on her and the thoughts of what may “lie ahead” brought her down.
Back to top Go down
Marielle66

Marielle66

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2006 5:13 pm

It is so hard for me to decide wheter I like Hedda or not. She is just so interestng in so many different way and she's really crazy! There are definitely tons of things I don't like about her, like how manipulative she is and the fact that she has to know everyone's secrets is just not right. She probably has a lot more secrets than anyone else in the play. There are some good things about her though. She really knows how to get what she wants and she will do anything to get it. Again that's where the bad part of her comes in, she will get what she wants, but sometimes it is through the wrong means. She is very intelligent too but she uses her wisdom to insult people and to show how mean and careless she is... I can't decide if I like her or not!!! I'll know at the end of the play for sure... affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next