The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+62
[ s y n n e ]
chelseac89
AustinL
mswan1
kielbasaSausage1
BCallison
Eric
LWhite1
CassieG
gargigodbole
julie_m1
maxr409
Alyssa
GabyA
mar89
JanaeNae
the_huffanator
sierrasmiles
Julie N
Tsprague6
mrose
nfait
Celia
bri fej
mhandf12
I.Phillips
LeighAnne
christinaJ
andrewh
hannahc
Sophiachow
melissac1
LeN
ANunn1
Gina44
kjones4
NataliaJones
Buttermore
Marielle66
knina
elanafink1
AnnaL
kevinb
JohnN
JeffAlmario
nicklake
Goodman
abdi4
cathyP
ssawa
emramos
cathycal8
LukeUlrich42
Monika
DieaEruP.2
brittanyS1
Edunn116
phNguyen
Sullivan4
jalessanoel
Jess.M.Period1
Admin
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Alyssa

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 8:52 pm

So, I just re-read the play because I usually get more out of it the second time around. Personally, I think Hedda has her own brand of insane going on. I don't revere her, I don't think she's a completely bitch, I don't really have feelings to her one way or another. I guess I can understand how in the time it would have been a big deal, but I just read it and it's like, "Okay. She's really blunt and she's got quite a bit of sass going on." Buuut that's about it.
Back to top Go down
maxr409

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 11:08 pm

One interesting point that I picked up during the play was the Hedda was raised by her father and Geroge was raised by his aunt. This might explain the dominant role that Hedda fills and the submissive role that Geroge fills. This role reversal is what makes Hedda such an interesting character to read about. She is cold, manipulative, and possesses so many other despicable characteristics, but you can’t help just secretly liking her.
Back to top Go down
julie_m1

Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 11:28 pm

I had mixed reactions to Hedda Gabbler. At first I liked her because she seemed to be her own person and never apologize for it, which I have to respect. However, as the play progressed she was revealed as being extremely hypocritical. As a few other people have mentioned, she loves the idea of having power over another person's fate, yet finds the concept that someone should have power over her fate completely unfathomable. Also, she is portrayed as being the strongest character in the play and thinking of herself as so much smarter than everyone else, but in the end she committs suicide. I think a truly strong character could use her cunning to wiggle out of the situation. It seems to me that Hedda Gabbler is smart, but not as smart as she thinks, and strong, but also not as strong as she thinks. Ultimately she is worse off than both her husband and Thea, two people she clearly considers far below her.
Back to top Go down
gargigodbole

gargigodbole

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2006 10:16 am

Hedda is completely a crazy woman who knows exactly what she wants and how to get it. I respect her for this characteristic, but she still very much scares me. She is also self-centered and arrogant and want nothing from others, unless it benefits her. She also has many personas, which she uses with different people around her.
Hedda's background has a lot to do with her current behavior. She was raised by her father, who was a general and was probably arrogant as well. This also tells why she can so easily overpower her husband, who was raised by his aunt and is very soft. Hedda's entrance and the setting disclosed these factors for me.
Back to top Go down
CassieG

CassieG

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2006 2:27 pm

Hedda Gabler is a manipulative and ferocious woman, although I do not see these traits as being negative. I think that it is a high compliment to her intellect and to her wit that she is able to manipulate and control situations. Especially when considering the time period that this play was written in and the role of women in that society, it is amazing that Hedda has so much control over everyone. Hedda knows when to turn the charm on and when to switch to her scheming side.
Back to top Go down
LWhite1

LWhite1

Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2006 4:54 pm

Heda is mean; I was incredibly irritated in class when some one tried to say that she was not, that she just 'speaks her mind' but people who really do just speak their mind don't do so with intentional malice in their words like Hedda; she's mean and she irks me. The scene with the the old woman was unforgivable. Her husband is a pushover, but i suppose one has to be in order to get along with her; two strong personalities would clash intolerably. His little 'eh?s' at the end of everything he says bother me. I was really hoping for one strong character to give her a run for her money, but I guess one can argue that the judge does at the end.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2006 5:04 pm

I found it amusing how Hedda could not affect the lives of others as she had wished to do. Even when Lovebord dies, she is still incapable of affecting the lives of others as she had so desired. Instead, she is the one being controlled. I find it ironic how all the time she was toying with these people that she was the one ended being played with. I thought that when her husband tells her to stop annoying him and Thea so that they could concentrate on Loveborg’s memorial was one of the major reasons she committed suicide.
Back to top Go down
BCallison

Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 6:49 pm

One scene I liked in particular was the scene where Hedda is more or less interrogating Mrs. Elvsted. I found it interesting how Hedda will take on what ever role she deems necessary in order for her to get the info she wants. I liked how she initially was charming and sweet to Mrs. Elvsted. Then immediately after she got her information, she turned into the mean person that she is and forced Mrs. Elvsted into the kitchen despite her unwillingness.
Back to top Go down
kielbasaSausage1

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 9:15 pm

Despite Tesman's annoying overuse of the inquiry, "Eh", I found this play very entertaining. From beginning to end, I was curious as to how Hedda would ruin someone's life next. As the story progressed and the characters became less and less stable, I found it interesting to see how they reacted to each other. Another reason that I found the story enjoyable was because it was easy to understand. For example, the ending was not vague and unclear as several other stories' endings are, but was actually pretty simple, which was refreshing in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
mswan1

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2006 9:00 pm

Heddas dominance in this novel is amazing. I love how she wears the pants in the relationship and laugh at what a weak pansy her husband is. Although I do think her drive for passion is a bit crazy, no one can have all the power in the world and you must learn to deal with that. Having a strong female character makes this book very interesting because you usually see a male dominance in books.
Back to top Go down
AustinL

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2006 9:40 pm

George Tesman is a very special character. By being so obtuse he allows Hedda to walk all over his Aunt while at the same time being so loving toward her. George is the last person Hedda should have ended up with they are so different, but in a way they complete each other like Ying and Yang. I wonder how long George will take Hedda's antics and if he will be able to do any thing about them.
Back to top Go down
chelseac89

Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2006 3:45 pm

Hmmm.... Although i like Hedda Gabler as a whole i was slightly dissapointed with the ending. Dont get me wrong, I loved all the suspense and secrecy in the novel and found the story line to be quite thrilling, but it just wasnt how i would have imagined it ending. Hedda's character was fabulous and brings the bulk of the spice to the story. Through the play she is portrayed as a strong-willed character who needed to be the center of attention. I had imagined her death as some sort of dramatic downfall infront of many others, however, in all reality she is alone and "off stage". Goo story....a bit of a let down at the end, but what can you do. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too!
Back to top Go down
[ s y n n e ]

[ s y n n e ]

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2006 8:09 pm

I really like Hedda. She is one lady I give major props too. I love how she doesn't let anyone control her and how devious she is! I love how she manipulate's people! It's so...I just love it. I thought Judge Brack was SO creepy and the way he acts makes me want to call the police. I felt so bad for Thea though, how her love died. And Mr. Tesman is just weird. I got annoyed with him.

I thought how Hedda shot herself was amazing. She asserted her power and showed them all what she was all about.
Back to top Go down
JhuynhEr

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2006 4:27 pm

Hedda is an admirable character, she does what many girls don't do. She sticks up for herself and knows what she wants. I like her character but I kind of don't like her character. It's kind of like a love hate relationship. I think what she does is very admirable but the way she does it just seems cocky and obnoxious
Back to top Go down
ctreffinger

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2006 1:20 am

Hedda Gabler is a very amusing character to me. She is obviously not at all like most women in literature, which makes her particularly interesting. My favorite aspect of Hedda is how sure she is of herself and how she knows just what she wants and how to go about getting it. She comes off as being a very powerful and charismatic character despite her constant pessimism. Although she is entertaining in the novel, I would personally avoid her in reality.
Back to top Go down
kjohnson

Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2006 10:13 pm

I really dislike Hedda Gabler. I think she is a rude, selfish person. I hate how Hedda demands respect but never gives any to others. She is very sneaky and changes her personality around certain people to get what she wants. Hedda is never happy with what she has and always wants more. She is very lucky to have found George who is oblivious to her rude personality.
flower
Back to top Go down
BLewis22

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 4:26 pm

In terms of symbols, one which seemed to strike me was the hair and the difference between the hair of the women. This symbol mainly stretches to Hedda and Thea, as Hedda admires Thea's long wavy hair over her own, usually hidden, mess. Perhaps the most extreme example of this does not come from the meetings of the women within the Tesman household, but rather while they were schoolmates. As Hedda is trying to get information out of Thea towards the beginning of the novel, Thea reminds her of an instance where she threatened to burn her hair off, a signal that maybe she has had a deep loathing and jealousy for Thea for much longer than expected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3