The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+59
EmilyN
JhuynhEr
kjones4
Celia
lheying
[ s y n n e ]
ANunn1
Goodman
chelseac89
Jess.M.Period1
AustinL
AnnaL
mhandf12
Gina44
kielbasaSausage1
BCallison
I.Phillips
christinaJ
melissac1
Edunn116
elanafink1
Marielle66
Eric
LWhite1
brittanyS1
CassieG
cmahlberg4
NataliaJones
the_huffanator
Monika
gargigodbole
julie_m1
maxr409
cathyP
Alyssa
abdi4
GabyA
jalessanoel
JanaeNae
cathycal8
Julie N
LeN
Tsprague6
nicklake
mrose
andrewh
hannahc
knina
Sullivan4
JohnN
nfait
Sophiachow
JeffAlmario
bri fej
kevinb
phNguyen
LeighAnne
emramos
Admin
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jess.M.Period1

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2006 11:22 am

I thought the ending of this play was perfect. The ending is so strong and powerful, I can just imagine how the audience back then would have reacted. I think that Ibsen created something that he felt was missing in theatre. I think that he knew that a story like this would intrigue everyone, including men.
I really liked that after Hedda killed herself, there are only a few lines spoken. I feel that this rightfully undermines the other characters. Had the play continued on with her funeral, it would take away from Hedda's strong presence and the shock of her suicide.
Back to top Go down
chelseac89

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2006 3:53 pm

As previously stated in the "Reactions to Hedda Gabler" post, i was slightly dissapointed. I was expecting some big dramatic exit and it was kind of quite, and suspenseless. Had the ending been different the plays would hvae been one of my favorite!
Back to top Go down
Goodman

Goodman

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2006 6:40 pm

Personally I am glad she shot herself. If she had decided against suicide, I would have shot that b*tch myself. I could not stand her personality any longer.
Back to top Go down
ANunn1

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Thank god shes gone. The ending of Hedda Gabler is a perfect way to relieve the reader of the pain and mystery brought on by Hedda's character. Throughout the play she is a wild card with a wide range of unpredictable actions and emotions. I found her character extremely fake and insincere by the various personas (jung strikes again) that she displayed to the other characters of the play. Throughout the play I was rooting for her to find herself and ultimately become consistant in how she acts around others, but no such reward came. Instead my underlying belief that she was a very insecure person seeking refuge in Brack was confirmed in killing herself. The most ironic thing in her suicide is that she opens the door for Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted to grow closer together, the very thing she feared. Fancy that.
Back to top Go down
[ s y n n e ]

[ s y n n e ]

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2006 7:46 pm

I LOVED THE ENDING! I knew what she was going to do. I just knew it. Actually, I was thinking, "I'd shot myself if I were in that position..." - so it was like a 'YES!' when she did. I thought she wasn't cowardly, she was showing her position and that no one can hold a powerful fist over her. I liked the ending and it did work for me. I was happy that the Judge didn't have his way, but I wish she really didn't die. I liked her.
Back to top Go down
lheying

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2006 10:29 pm

I definatly thought the ending was very ironic. It couldnt of ended more perferctly. The fact that Eilert didn't kill himself the way Hedda wished, she decided to take it upon herself to have a dramatic/beautiful exit and i ended up really enjoying the way it ended. afro
Back to top Go down
Celia

Celia

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Hedda's Deada   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2006 12:23 am

I think the ending of the play would have worked better for me if Hedda had not died but had merely continued to suffer by staying married to Mr. Tesman and being forced into a "relationship" with Judge Brack. It would have just been more satisfying.

At the end of the play I still think of Hedda in the same way as I did in the beginning. She in controlling however indecisive, and she is flawed despite being so strong willed. In this case she decides to kill herself which shows how her complete stubborness and need for control led to her own demise in more than one way. She tried to control the situation by encouraging Lovborg to end his own life which led to Brack blackmailing her, after which she "controlled the situation" again by killing herself.

In addition to the last example of irony, Hedda's suicide is ironic in viewing the idea of dueling pistols. It is as if Hedda and Lovborg were dueling and in the end both guns hit their mark. In actuality Lovborg is completely unaware of this duel, and it is actually more accurate to say that the duel was Hedda versus the part of herself that she wished would die.
Back to top Go down
kjones4

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: reactions to the ending   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2006 9:23 am

I definitely was not expecting the ending but I think it plays out perfectly. I'm proud of Hedda for being able to go through with what she wanted. She thought that she was cowardly while Loveborg was brave but she was the one who ended up dying with courage. Hedda was a woman on a power trip. She had to control absolutely everthing and everyone. And there was no way in hell she was going to let that disgusting judge have power over her. I say good for her. She had always had the strongest personality.
Back to top Go down
JhuynhEr

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2006 4:30 pm

The ending definitely worked for me, Hedda can not be controlled! She is a powerful character and she knows what she wants and how she will obtain it, but in the end she wasn't able to so whats the point of living? I'm not saying suicide is the answer but in Hedda's case it almost seemed like it was the only choice she had. She was stuck with a nasty judge and her husband would be taken away from her, nothing she really could do could save her.
Back to top Go down
EmilyN

EmilyN

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2006 8:21 pm

As almost every great drama, the main character always commits suicide or dies. I think there really wasn't any other way to end the play, and I was fully content with how it ended. I really liked how Ibsen sets up the end of the play, and how all the characters are so complex that it creates an intricately woven plot. I really enjoyed the ending, because although I thought it was somewhat predictable, there was still so much going on by the end of the play, there killing herself was really the only way the play could finally be resolved.
Back to top Go down
ctreffinger

Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2006 1:31 am

I could tell from the beginning of the novel Hedda was clearly not happy with her life. This was blatantly pointed out by how obsessed Tesman was with his aunt as opposed to how Hedda felt towards his aunt. I felt the ending was very meaningful in relation to the story. To me it meant that Hedda was weak inside but used assertiveness as protection from the world. It was ironic because the suicide was in reality a cowardly act as opposed to honorable as she put it. However, i believe when she first heard Lovborg had shot himself she claimed it was honorable simply because she wanted him dead for what he had done to her.

Hedda Gabler certainly comes across as a drama queen at some points and the ending fits that claim perfectly.
Back to top Go down
kjohnson

Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2006 10:37 pm

I was not expecting this ending at all, but I believe it was a good one. When Hedda realized Judge Brack was going to have complete power over her, in her eyes, the only correct answer was to kill herself. It is just like Hedda to not let someone else control her; she is way too stubborn and needs to be in charge of everything. By killing herself “beautifully” it proves that Hedda is the only one who controls her own life.
flower
Back to top Go down
sierrasmiles

Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: ending   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2006 10:48 pm

Throughout the novel i really did enjoy Hedda, and all her deceitful lies, and sick tricks, but under all that i felt that Hedda really never got a chance to bring out who she really was... she was always so busy putting on different personas to please and mislead others. I think that around Lovborg she was she brought out more of herself, and when she realized he didnt care for her and that she had made no impact she lost it! As brought up before it seems that hedda had some neccesary element missing from her childhood and in turn adapted very controlling charactersitics, where she could bury her true emotions and hurt by putting others down, except with Lovborg who she admired. Once she found out that the one person she truly loved and had enough trust in to open up, had never lover her in return she took the easy way out, SUICIDE! I almost feel it was actually an act of kindness in repect to those around her becasue otherwise she would have lived an eternal life of bitterness and probably made life hell for her family and "friends".
I think that ist ironic, she came off as such a strong, willed woman but weak wnough to take her own life.
Back to top Go down
BLewis22

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 4:52 pm

The one question that I came out of the play with, concerning the ending, was wondering how it would have looked actually being there, in the theater. Would I have had a different opinion of Hedda going into the end, with an actual look at a person? rather than the simple name which I had come to despise written on the pages? Maybe actuallu seeing someone with so many problems would strike up a deeper sorrow for Hedda's suicide, rather than the rejoicing that some people experienced.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3