The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+65
jalessanoel
Cody_W
Eric
mrose
kjones4
mhandf12
BLewis22
cmahlberg4
LeighAnne
JhuynhEr
DieaEruP.2
Celia
LWhite1
[ s y n n e ]
Jedrek
Tsprague6
aSmith
nicklake
knina
cathyP
CassieG
Monika
nfait
Edunn116
Alyssa
mar89
maxr409
Gina44
ssawa
I.Phillips
LeN
kielbasaSausage1
LukeUlrich42
gargigodbole
Julie N
brittanyS1
sierrasmiles
bri fej
Jess.M.Period1
lheying
AnnaL
melissac1
AustinL
Sophiachow
kjohnson
NataliaJones
abdi4
emramos
andrewh
hannahc
BrianG.
ANunn1
julie_m1
JeffAlmario
christinaJ
JohnN
Sullivan4
kevinb
elanafink1
GabyA
Marielle66
Goodman
phNguyen
BCallison
Admin
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lheying

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2006 4:07 pm

One of the great parts if the novel occured in the first half of the book when Emma burned her wedding boquet. I felt like this was a symbol of there marriage. In her mind the marriage was falling apart and not like she expected. The fact that she threw there wedding boquet in the fire shows her complete and total lack of faith or respect for her new marriage. afro
Back to top Go down
Jess.M.Period1

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2006 10:34 pm

I really liked this book but I have a few questions about Emma. The movie portrays her in a completly different light than the book but I still want to know why. why did she think that she desirved so much more than anyone else? Women during that time did not have the luxury to be picky about who they married. Charles was a nice man who loved her and would have given her anything she asked. I think that her death was extremly selfish. She left behind her daughter, and her husband and a bad name. She is someone I would like to ask questions to along with Hedda and the Yellow Wallpaper crazy.
Back to top Go down
bri fej

bri fej

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2006 10:38 pm

I thought Lheureux was an interesting character. I compare him to Judge Brack (I think that was his name?) from Hedda Gabler. They're both kind of the sleezy-cheap characters that we love to hate and hate to love, "smart scum" I guess haha. Both Lheureux and Brack try to use blackmail to their advantage. They seem to take pleasure in watching Emma/Hedda's downfall. The situation is also similar because both Emma and Hedda commit suicide due to their excessive lying, aided by Lheureux/Brack.
Back to top Go down
sierrasmiles

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: reactions   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2006 10:49 pm

I found Emma to be slightly out of it, this woman is living in a fantasy world, where she expects every aspect of life to be perfect; sex ,marriage, romance, and wealth, AND I LOVE HOW fLAUBERT HITS HER IN THE FACE WITH REALITY. This woman asked for everything she got..... she lived in her fantasy world felt wealth, had numerous roamntic affairs, felt loved, and endured marriage...but its ironic that in the end everything fell to shit. Wether or not Emma was a woman unrealitistic luxuries like those need to be earned, and POOR emma believed that she could just use her charm, ignorance, and body to live this life because she was selfish. I do not feel bad for her at all she made all the choices in her life and because she was lucky enough to have a loving naive husband she took adavntage of him .... that was a choice so in turn she was left with nothing and realized that reality hurts and i think she deserved that pain.
Back to top Go down
brittanyS1

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 2:14 pm

Mixed feelings say yes, it is quite saddening that she dug her own grave in having affairs and increasing her debt but hats off to her for trying to mold her own life in a time where women had no rights concerning what they wanted. However, the other part of me dislikes her for the way she went about trying to achieve her happiness. She created such a mess of things through her scandalous secrets, not realizing that in the process she would be hurting and leaving behind people that truely loved her (poor Charles and Berthe).

Looking at the big picture, I believe that her selfish character overpowers her romantic character because she mixes the idea of desires and reality. Emma could have stopped herself from her reliance on the affairs and her shopoholic ways that led to her death, if she had just been able to separate her fantasies of a romantic life from cruel reality. Flaubert really emphasized this through realism, showing that life isn't just full of balls and plays, but big dung heaps too. Eww! No
Back to top Go down
Julie N

Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 9:37 pm

Emma is unsure of what she wants throughout the whole novel. Everytime she get what she wants, she always tends to demand more. Nobody and nothing can satisfy her, it seems as if , she has to have several guys to fulfill her desires. I feel bad for Charles because he loves Emma so much that he is oblivious to what Emma is up to and her affairs. He loves her so much that he trust her with all of his heart, and in the end that is how he dies.. I think that it is quite disappointing especially because she committed suicide. He was such a devoted and sincere husband, yet he didn't know how to satisfy her, so she neglected him.
Back to top Go down
gargigodbole

gargigodbole

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2006 12:31 pm

I found it extremely fascinating when Emma threw her bouquet into the fire. When she brought the bouquet into Charles's house, she had extremely positive expectations about her future with Charles. When she burned the bouquet, it symbolized that her expectations have been destroyed and there is nothing left between their marriage.
Back to top Go down
LukeUlrich42

LukeUlrich42

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2006 1:06 pm

I feel that the greyhound is a dominant symbol in the novel, that it serves as a non-judging ear to which Emma can talk. However, when it is lost on the way to the Bovary's new home, it signifies the loss of her understanding ally, and that she will look outside her family for emotional connections, namely, her lovers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/welcometotheranch
kielbasaSausage1

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2006 5:43 pm

When Emma was first introduced, I saw her as a nice young girl, but as she became less and less interested in her relationship with Charles and became increasingly bitter, I really began disklike her character. Charles was a nice guy and tried his best to please her, but she went behind his back and got jiggy with other guys in town, so when she became ill, I felt worse for Charles because he loved her and went through hell worrying about her. Bottom line, Emma was a bi-atch, and out of all of the "classic" female characters we've read about so far, I think that I dislike her the most--even more than Hedda.
Back to top Go down
LeN

LeN

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 12:33 am

The peacock on the dunghill is definitely a major symbol concerning Madame Bovary. The two images, the dunghill and the peacock, constrat each other in a way similar to the incongruity of Emma's characteristics and the rural life. She is pretty, romatic, literated and acristocratic, while the rural, middle class life is dull and harsh. Emma living in on farmland is like a peacock standing on a pile of wastes, unappreciated and ruinous.
Back to top Go down
I.Phillips

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 8:43 am

I found the character of Charles Bovary to be quite interisting. He is incredibly simplistic and niave. He has almost no perception of what is going on around him. His personality or lake there of reminds me of Candide. He is so unperceptive that he cannot even see what the rest of the town sees when Emma has her rides with Roldphe. Yet despite is simplicity he is the onl one that can stand Emma. Roldophe and Leon both become bored of her and her "romantic" nessesity. Only the plain Charles can stand her, unfortunatly Emma can't see what she has only what she lacks. She never sees what a gift she actually has recieved.
Back to top Go down
ssawa

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 5:01 pm

The blind beggar symbolized the progression of Emma's life. The beggars songs started out innocent and sweet andthen later revealed the strong sexual content. This mirrors Emma's life starting from innocence and changing into sexual immorality.
Back to top Go down
Gina44

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 9:53 pm

I think Madame Bovary is very selfish and coldhearted. In her search for love, or better yet, her actions of lust, she treats her family like crap. Shes deceitful and has to repect or good morals. She makes all the wrong choices by sleeping with different men, ignoring Charles, and neglecting her daughter. Therefore, because she chose to live her life in such an unrealistic manner, she ended up committing suicide.
Back to top Go down
maxr409

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 11:53 pm

One of the dominant symbols that I saw in the novel was the color green. Green symbolizes jealousy and envy in this novel. The color green is associated with all of Emma’s love interests. The first appearance of this symbol is the Viscount’s green cigar case. It embodies all of her desires to go to Paris and live an exciting life. As she fondles the box she thinks of her dance with the Viscount. The color green appears again on both Rodolphe, when he comes for the blood-letting, and Leon, when he goes to the cathedral to meet Emma. These are both men that she yearns to be with but can’t due to her marriage with Charles. The color green follows Emma to her deathbed where Charles has her covered in a green cloth. Emma’s coveting nature was one of her defining characteristics, so it is only fitting that she is draped in this cloth on her deathbed.
Back to top Go down
mar89

mar89

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 3:53 pm

Eventhough a lot of people felt sorry for Emma Bovary, I honestly didn't. I thought that it was a misfortune that she had such a hard time fitting in among other people and that she couldn't find one man to love, but I feel as though she brought that on herself. She shouldn't have married Charles without getting to know him better because she surely would have seen what a boring, studious person he is. Emma shouldn't have had an affair with Leon because of his youth and innocence, he was not experienced in love. And I feel as though Rodolph used Emma for nothing more than the pleasures of the physical side of their relationship. Even though Emma Bovary had a sad and some what unfair life, I feel she could have avoided it by not putting herself in compromising situations.
Back to top Go down
Alyssa

Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 4:21 pm

After Daniel Deronda, Madame Bovary was kind of a let down. Switch Emma with Gwedolen and have Gwedolen die in the end and I'll be happy. But. I don't know. I couldn't find a character in Madame Bovary who I could really get in to. Everyone was just sort of... there.
Back to top Go down
Edunn116

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2006 12:22 am

Madame Bovary is one of the most intense characters ever and I loved it! I thought it was great how often she slept around. It definitely added spunk to the novel. This is when you can truly use Kelso's word "naughty". The way Emma paraded around with so much confidence was just unbelievable. The only thing I really did not like about this novel is that she killed herself. I mean I understand it needed to happen but man she had some pretty hot lovers. This book was definitely alot better then I expected.
Back to top Go down
nfait

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2006 7:16 pm

I thought the symbolism and imagery that Flaubert used in the wedding bouquet was really significant in the novel. The last page of part I shows Emma finding her buoquet and throwing it into the fire. I think this represents her throwing away her promise to Charles and her love for him. This is significant because after that point, she begins taking lovers on the side, not even trying to mend her relationship with Charles.
Back to top Go down
Monika

Monika

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2006 5:18 am

My favorite characterwas Justin (and Leon in the film). He was sooo cute in the novel!

I loved the language of the novel and the way it flowed. It was paced well, slowed down and sped up appropriately. I love how I could read 10 pages a night and then suddenly about 100 pages all at once. It was crazy.

Emma was quite a contridiction. I am still unsure wether I like her or not. I felt bad for her situations but then she would go and do something completely ridiculous, like continue buying things and neglecting her child

Another important issue is..."Why am I on the AP forum at 4 in the morning?" and...I sooo just wrote my college essays. I'm pretty excited about that.

Emma was a pretty weak character, in general, too dependant on her obsessions and material things. She definitely has self esteem problems or something, she could be happy with herself. Im glad she had affairs, but they were all too submissive, they didn't "stick it to the man" quite enough.
Back to top Go down
CassieG

CassieG

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2006 12:35 pm

The character of Leon is very important in Madame Bovary's life, and the story would not work without him. He is her first lover, although they don't actually have a physical relationship. They were both too timid to make a move, which was probably a good idea. Once Emma had already had an affair with Rodolphe, she didn't have as many inhibitions about starting one up with Leon. I don't think that Emma would have taken the plunge with Leon if she had not had the extensive affair with Rodolphe. Neither of Emma's relationships with men worked out, and the first time she got dumped she fell very ill, and the next time she killed herself. Emma should have just stuck with friendly Charles!
Back to top Go down
cathyP

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2006 1:27 pm

A key moment in Madame Bovary was when Emma angrily enters her room and throws her wedding bouquet into the fire. The bouquet symbolizes her marriage with Charles. By burning the bouquet Emma shows her true feelings of regret and disappointment from her marriage.
Back to top Go down
knina

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2006 1:34 pm

My favorite character was Justin even though he has a minute role in the book [and film]. I felt that he truly loved Emma, maybe as much (and even more) than the other two men in Emma’s life: Leon and Rodolphe. I mean those men did immensely love her once, but when they got tired of her, they blew her away. While Justin never had that chance like they did to have an affair with her, he sacrifice a part of himself (which is his job) by giving Emma the poison. I’m not sure if he ultimately let her kill herself, I just think he didn’t know that she was actually going to swallow the drugs even though he might have had an inkling about it.
Back to top Go down
nicklake

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2006 1:30 pm

For most of the novel, I wasnt sure what to think about Emma. Sometimes I felt bad for her, being stuck and unhappy with Charles. Then other times I didnt like her because of what she did to fulfill herself. As the novel progressed, I started losing any simpathy I had for Emma, because she just got out of control. She was basically just stupid with the way she handled Charles' money, and her affairs became too much. She brought everything that went wrong in her life upon herself. There was no bad luck or anything like that involved. It was all her own fault, and as it all started winding down, I started to think she deserved it all. Its still unfortionate that she had to die though...
Back to top Go down
aSmith

aSmith

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-09-25

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2006 12:27 am

It was difficult to tell whether or not Charles was, in actuality, as incredibly stupid as described in the book. Much of what is said about Charles comes from (in my opinion) Emma's point of view so I was never sure whether or not what was said about him was exaggerated because of her dissatisfaction with her marriage.

This was the main reason I found it easier to sympathize with the Emma in the book (I by no means support adultery) than the Emma in the movie.
Back to top Go down
Tsprague6

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 1:37 pm

A key event which truly characterizes Emma is when she pushes her baby Berthe off of the bed. She is frustrated even with this innocent child whom is a part of her and seems to never be happy. This is a foreshadowing of when she commits suicide at the end of the story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Madame Bovary   POST:  Reactions to Madame Bovary - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next