The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner

Go down 
+49
EmilyN
Eric
Edunn116
LeN
maxr409
jalessanoel
gargigodbole
mrose
mar89
Julie N
Alyssa
Jedrek
kielbasaSausage1
Jess.M.Period1
lheying
mhandf12
Tsprague6
JeffAlmario
GabyA
Goodman
DieaEruP.2
kjones4
[ s y n n e ]
julie_m1
emramos
abdi4
cathyP
elanafink1
christinaJ
I.Phillips
knina
JanaeNae
kevinb
hannahc
Sophiachow
ANunn1
Sullivan4
Marielle66
LWhite1
ssawa
NataliaJones
andrewh
bri fej
JohnN
Monika
phNguyen
CassieG
LukeUlrich42
Admin
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Gina44

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2006-09-10

Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner   Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2006 10:18 pm

The relationship between the mother and the little boy in this story is sort of odd. It almost seems as if the mother is at fault for the boy's death because she begins to drive the little boy insane with her doubting him. The mother told the boy that their family was not lucky and that they did not have money. This made him want to keep winning money on the winning horses. It eventually lead him to become ill and insane, therefore, leading to his death.
Back to top Go down
nfait

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner   Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2006 11:39 pm

6. I think the ending of this short story was extremely sad. All the boy wanted to do was earn more money for his mother so she would be happy. It wasn't for himself and the fact that he died performing this unselfish act for his mom was really touching. It's not what you classify as a typical "happy ending" but I think it was right for this story. It shocked the reader and created sympathy for the boy, and hatred toward the greedy mother for killing her son.
Back to top Go down
AnnaL

Registration date : 2006-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner   Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 pm

The ending of this story really surprised me because I expected it to have a typical happy ending. It seemed like the boy's luck was kicking in and that his family was starting to do well off financially. I felt sad because the boy struggled to make his mom pleased only to die in the end. Despite all of Paul's hard work, his family becomes burdened once more, emotionally, with his tragic death.
Back to top Go down
Celia

Celia

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: the relationship between mother and son in the rocking horse   Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2006 12:25 am

While the mother wants to love her children she truly does not and because her son is concious of this he attempts to win over her love by winning her money. The boy thinks that by buying his mother happiness he can also buy her love.

Although the mother does not love her son she still feels that it is her responsibility to care for him to the best of her capabilities. The worst side of their defected relationship is revealed when the mother first bitterly tells the boy about how unlucky his father is, and at the end right before the young boy falls asleep and dies. When Paul tells his mother, "...did i ever tell you? I am lucky" she merely replies "no you never did" instead of trying to tell him that he didn't have to be lucky for her to love him, even if it was a lie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner   Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussing Lawrence's The Rocking-Horse Winner
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The AP Forum at SRHS :: The AP Forum at SRHS-
Jump to: