The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it)

Go down 
+46
adamblakecarver
Gina44
Eric
ANunn1
LeighAnne
maxr409
mrose
Julie N
Alyssa
JanaeNae
kjones4
JhuynhEr
mhandf12
Tsprague6
JeffAlmario
gargigodbole
AustinL
brittanyS1
Goodman
knina
abdi4
LWhite1
I.Phillips
hannahc
kielbasaSausage1
LeN
Monika
jalessanoel
Sophiachow
Marielle66
LukeUlrich42
julie_m1
EmilyN
CassieG
mar89
elanafink1
nicklake
cathycal8
Jess.M.Period1
NataliaJones
[ s y n n e ]
Sullivan4
the_huffanator
phNguyen
JohnN
Admin
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Cody_W

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2006-09-19

The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it)   The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Upon reading The Yellow Wallpaper I kept thinking about one par of the story. When the wife explains the wall, she points out the blataint yellow designs that have no design and the the green moss-like designs on the bottom. This just stuck in my mind, and whenever I find myself thinking of this thats all i can think of. The oppisition of yellow and green and the chaotic nature of the paper is just uneasy. I cannot think of any other literature like this for I am not as much of a adament reader as I should be.
Back to top Go down
nfait

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it)   The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2006 11:34 pm

What really struck me from this story was the symbolism of the bars on the windows and the bars on the wallpaper. I think that the lady in the wallpaper trapped by day and free by night symbolises the "crazy" woman's enslavement in the day by her husband. She's always repeating that he won't let her go to town and Jane(?) watches over her during the day while John's gone. Then, in the night both the crazy woman and the lady in the wallpaper are free to move around and do as they please. FREAKY!
Back to top Go down
andrewh

Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Re: The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it)   The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2006 11:56 pm

I agree with Nicole on what she said about the lady in the yellow wallpaper and how she was trapped by day and free by night and how it symbolizes the craziness within her. This reminded me of the novel Night by Elie Wiesel and the craziness that the boy in the novel has seen throughout the different interment camps.
Back to top Go down
Celia

Celia

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it)   The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2006 12:36 am

The way that the woman looked out the window made one oof the greatest impressions in my mind. Like she was imprisoned in this room and all she can do is cling to the words her husband says about how much better she looks while she gazes out the window at the world passing her by. She talks about the beautiful garden that she never gets to walk in, and the lane that runs through the estate, and about how she watches john's sister walk far enough so that it'll be safe to write.

It's creepy how she sits and watches what she's being kept from, like she's living in her own world loking out her window at another which is nother more to her than a pretty picture which occasionally changes in the most predictable ways.

This (unfortunately) does not remind me of any other literature I've read.

Also I don't think that the man's wife really is suffering from post pardum depression. Considering her husband is supposed to be her own educated llive-in doctor why would he say things that would pull her down instead of promoting her well being. Like when he says he would sooner put fireworks in her pillow than let people visit her and risk her becoming "overstimulated". It seems over the top and eccentric. While he does get his point accross the underlying message he sends is that he would never do that because he would never ever ever want to do anything to hurt his precious troubled wife. Bull.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it)   The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Yellow Wallpaper (once you've read it)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The AP Forum at SRHS :: The AP Forum at SRHS-
Jump to: