The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+62
[ s y n n e ]
chelseac89
AustinL
mswan1
kielbasaSausage1
BCallison
Eric
LWhite1
CassieG
gargigodbole
julie_m1
maxr409
Alyssa
GabyA
mar89
JanaeNae
the_huffanator
sierrasmiles
Julie N
Tsprague6
mrose
nfait
Celia
bri fej
mhandf12
I.Phillips
LeighAnne
christinaJ
andrewh
hannahc
Sophiachow
melissac1
LeN
ANunn1
Gina44
kjones4
NataliaJones
Buttermore
Marielle66
knina
elanafink1
AnnaL
kevinb
JohnN
JeffAlmario
nicklake
Goodman
abdi4
cathyP
ssawa
emramos
cathycal8
LukeUlrich42
Monika
DieaEruP.2
brittanyS1
Edunn116
phNguyen
Sullivan4
jalessanoel
Jess.M.Period1
Admin
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Buttermore

Buttermore

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-24

PostSubject: H-Gab   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2006 3:35 pm

Hedda's a trick. This girl is disloyal, manipulative, flirtatious and evil. She marries one guy in hopes he'll be rich and important. When she discovers hes not all she had hoped for, she turns to trying to get with every other guy in the play. Shes purposely cruel to sweet old Aunt Julia and is pretty much responsible for destroying the relationship between Thea and Lovborg. Hedda is a selfish witch and by making plays about women like this, todays women are only going to be more encouraged to act like her.
Back to top Go down
NataliaJones

NataliaJones

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Hedda is a "mean girl" type. She has a strong animus side that flows freely onto people she has no prospects with. Although to Judge Brack she obliges herself to be somewhat agreeable so that she can live the way she wants to, but even that is not enough to stop her (she'd rather be dead than be a sort of servant to anyone else).

Hedda also likes to take advantage of people, a great example being poor, innocent Thea. Hedda slyly comforts, plays confidant and best friend in that one scene until she had all the dirt she needed. Then she quickly disposes of Thea and hardly thinks a thought for her sake. She is manipulative and sneaky, and did all that she had to gain information on Eilert's location and Thea's secrets.

She has different personas, one for each person she associates.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nataliajones.com
kjones4

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Hedda   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2006 9:35 pm

I just finished reading Act Four and I decided that Hedda really isn't that tough of a woman. She only makes herself out to be that way because she is weak underneath her tough exterior. She isn't stone-cold or a bitch. She has feelings: jealousy, love, anger, just like everybody else. She wears different masks when interacting with different people. But, none of these masks actually portray who she really is. We learn more about Hedda's personality from when she conversates with herself, the ideas and thoughts that she accidentally let slip. She is only a heartbroken woman who hides behind a facade of blunt and cruel humor.
Back to top Go down
Gina44

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2006 11:18 pm

Hedda Gabler is an interesting woman. Apart from being sneaky and mischievious, she is beyond manipulative. She knows exactly how to get what she wants and does it with ease. She is not afraid to speak her mind or act how she pleases. Hedda is someone with different personas, but also has the ability to maintain one when she wants. She can pretend to be pleasant or friendly, but if she is not in the mood, she will simply act as if the world is currently revolving around her. I find her character somewhat amusing because it adds variety to the peice. It would be boring without her.
Back to top Go down
ANunn1

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2006 7:20 pm

I think one of the most overlooked characters in the play is Judge Brack. He has a fairly limited role, but his contribution to the comprehension of the plot is invaluable. His biggest impact is obviously on Hedda and the role he serves in her life. Hedda reveals her softer side to Brack and uses him as a outlet to vent from her other life with Tesman. Up until the very end of the play it is obvious that he is an important part of her life, but to what extent is unclear.
When Brack reveals that he will be blackmailing her for her involvement in Lovborg's death her life changes drastically. Without the outlet she had formerly known Hedda obviously sees no purpose to live in the remaining realm. It is not until this point that the reader finally grasps the importance of Brack's role in Hedda's life.
Back to top Go down
LeN

LeN

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2006 8:46 pm

I really dont like Hedda. In the way I interpret the play she is just one overly jealous and stupid woman. She is jealous of how Thea becomes an inspiration to Lovborg. She turns Lovborg away in the past, because he was a nobody back then. She marries to George thinking that he will be successful and rich. However, George turns out to be a very incompete, and Lovborg, the nobody, publishes one of the most popular book at that time. Peoples that Hedda views as inferiors, Lovborg and Thea, now suddenly have the potential to be more than what she is. Hence, she wants Thea's spot. We can also see that there is no love between her and Lovborg. Even if she does love him, her jealousy gets the better of her. She tears up his manuscript and hints him into suicide. In fact, i do not think she knows him at all. If she does, she would have foreseen that he would run to brothel with the gun. Her "skillful" manipulation fails her there . Hedda is not what she is appear to be. One impulsive woman, driven by her jealousy, is far different from a strong one who really knows what she wants.
Back to top Go down
melissac1

melissac1

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2006 11:06 pm

Just a quick note about Hedda.
Her character is written brilliantly. You can't help but admire her courage (which may be interpreted as callousness) when she actually tells Thea she wants to burn her hair off, actually burns Lovborg's manuscript or shoots herself in the temple. She does the unthinkable, unprecedented which makes for a great play. By no means would I be friends with someone like her (seeing as I do appreciate a full head of hair afro ) but she makes life interesting. Her high standards and greed for power lead to her demise. She refused to settle for less so, she killed herself, "beautifully."
Back to top Go down
Sophiachow

Sophiachow

Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2006 11:31 pm

Hedda Gabler is a very blunt and strange woman who is able to manipulate almost anyone around her. It feels like that she almost has an antisocial personality, which in psychology terms doesn’t mean being “not social”. Hedda doesn’t attach to anyone emotionally and shows a very limited range of emotions for others. She uses people for her own benefit like when she was trying to get Thea to tell her secrets, Hedda was warm and sympathetic but when has no more use of Thea, she simply becomes cold, distant and apathetic, showing classic signs of antisocial personality disorder. People with antisocial personalities also are involved in risk-taking behaviors, like Hedda is with her guns, and shows no indications experiencing fear when threatened, obviously she hasn’t been known for backing down. Other signs of antisocial personality disorder include irritability and aggressiveness, lack of remorse, deceitfulness, and reckless disregard for safety of self or others, all of which Hedda displays. She is easily irritated, doesn’t show much feeling when she hears the bad news of Aunt Rita, deceits and uses everybody around her, tells Løvborg to kill himself and commits suicide herself in the end, so personally I feel that she has antisocial personality disorder.
Back to top Go down
hannahc

PostSubject: Reaction to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2006 12:09 am

I really don’t like Hedda as a person, but being a character in the book, she is exciting to read about. She has the edge that captures the reader’s attention. She is highly manipulative and never cares about other people’s feelings. When she apologized for criticizing Aunt Julia’s bonnet, I don’t think she was sorry at all, she was just pretending to be apologetic because she didn’t want to lose her “classy” image. She is selfish and she would eventually get what she wants. She needs to be in control because everything is about her. She used George to get the house; she used Thea to get Eilert Lovborg, and got Lovborg not because she loved him, but because she doesn’t want him to be with anyone else. I actually wasn’t surprised about the ending. She obviously was not going to let Judge Brack control her, she would never bowl down to somebody else and she has never lost a battle. So the only way she is going to win is to commit suicide.
Back to top Go down
andrewh

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2006 12:28 am

Hedda Gabler is a unique individual that gets her kicks out of manipulating and deceiving other characters in the novel. Towards the end of the novel she becomes even more manipulative. What makes her character interesting and exciting to the reader, is that we are wanting to find out more about her character and her deceitful personality. From the beginning of the novel, I always wonder why a girl who grew up around riches was willing to give all that up and settle for someone who is just a mere professor. Hedda is much like the character in the film that we are currently watching, they are both deceitful and manipulative.
Back to top Go down
christinaJ

christinaJ

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Hedda knows what she wants and knows how to get it. She is extremely manipulative and quite rude at times. Though I absolutely adore Hedda, there is one character whom I adore even more. Despite Hedda's "badass" personality, Judge Brack seemed to have quite an effect on her. At the beginning of Act II, when they have a conversation, Hedda's nicer and friendlier side comes out with the help from Brack's flirtacious attitude. Though Brack was a minor character in the play, he served of great importance in revealing new information about Lovborg in the beginning and at the end. When it seemed as though Hedda was the "puppet-master," in the end Brack was the one who held the power against her.
Back to top Go down
LeighAnne

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2006 7:27 pm

I love how Hedda Gabler is so devious and intelligent. She knows exactly what she wants and will go out of her way at any risk to get it. She has many different faces though, which i find fake and I'm afraid she runs the risk of messing up and confusing herself in the future. To her husband Tesman she is rude yet sometimes tolerable of him. She always tells him exactly how it is and how she wants it done. I remember she told him she wanted not a "new" piano to replace the old one, just "another" one. This puts a lot of stress on Tesman to support his family and get a successful job with a good income to keep Hedda happy. However when she was with Thea, she turned into CRAZY information girl and started acting like they were best friends once Tesman left the room. She knew Thea had some secrets that would help herself in some way and she acted very concerned and friendly to try and get it out of her. Also with Judge Brack, Hedda is very flirty and forward with him as he is to her. This may be because he helped pay for her lovely house or because of some past relation. Anyways Hedda has many different personalities that contribute to her evilness nature.
Back to top Go down
I.Phillips

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2006 8:24 pm

Although for the most part Tesman does not seem to be such and exiting character, his action or lack ther of seem quite intersting. I found it unique how on just about every other sentence he ends it with a "hm?". He also seems to lack anykind of backbone, and it becomes more evident than ever anytime he tries to confronts Hedda. More than anything Tesman is almost unbelievably naive, he never knows exactly what is going on and is easily manipulated by Hedda.
Back to top Go down
mhandf12

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2006 8:30 pm

When I first heard Hedda I could only think of one thing--she sounded just like the girl from Torrey Pines whor wrote that despicable college letter. Hedda likes to hear about people's problems but unfortunately rather that trying to solve them, she amplifies them and takes great pleasure in doing so. She is so full of her self and just oozing with arrogance and has that envied quality of being able to manipulate and control everyone aroun her. She has a blatent disregard of respecting her elders as seen with Aunt Julianne and seems to be completely oblivious that she is actually married to Tesman. Besides, anyone who shoots of guns to scare people and enjoys doing so should not be allowed to be free in society. Hedda is an absolute beast!
Back to top Go down
bri fej

bri fej

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2006 9:48 pm

Even after finishing the novel, I don't know what to think of Hedda. In one way I admire her strength and integrity. On the other hand, I can't stand the way she belittles everyone around her. However, she's extremely smart because she has the ability to manipulate everyone around her. Although her manipulation catches up to her in the end, Hedda is completely aware of her power over those in her life. This I like about her, because everyone loves to get what they want. Unfortunately, it is a shame that she gets thrills from being mean, which makes me dislike her. As rude as she is, I will admit that she is a humorous character.
Back to top Go down
Celia

Celia

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2006 11:45 pm

Althought Hedda is beyond the typical connotation of manipulative, i don't believe that she has completely made up her mind about wat she really wants. If she was in actuality the epiphora of manipulative genius why would she put herself in such an undesirable position through her marraige with Tesman. She obviously regrets the decision which completely contradicts the initial impression the audience derives from the dialogue of the play.

Hedda may be bitter and controlling but she is no different than any of the rest of us, constantly changing our minds and regretting unwise decisions and to try to peg Hedda as completely one way or another is an unrealistic, undimensional, and probably not how the author intended it.

Last edited by on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nfait

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2006 5:35 pm

When I first met Hedda I personally liked her character. I know that sounds awful but she is a strong person and won't let anyone tell her what to do. I like women characters who won't be bossed around. Later on, however, when she revealed to Judge Brack that she insulted Aunt Juliana about her bonnet on purpose, I was turned away from her character. There's a huge difference between being a strong woman and being downright mean.
Overall, she is a great character and the play wouldn't have been anything without her (the title certainly wouldn't either.)
Back to top Go down
mrose

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2006 9:07 pm

Hedda Gabler's personality is shocking. She is openly blunt and rude. Whenever her husband makes comments or tries to include her in the conversation she retorts in a quick, snippy manner as if she doesn't like to hear her husband or his comments.
She is also controlling and stuck up. She is controlling when it comes to her relationship with Mrs. Elvsted, using her fake cahrm to draw Mrs. Elvsted's secrets from her. Once Hedda gets the dirt, she sends Mrs. Elvsted away quickly and rudely.
Henna's character would be considered arrogant and snobbish when she belittles the aunt by commenting that her bonnet is old and expressing her worry that someone might see it. Ironically, the Aunt just bought the expensive bonnet to impress Hedda. Also, towards the end of Act I, Hedda vocally expresses her disappointment when she realizes she wouldn't be getting her superfluous belongings such as the horse or butler.
Back to top Go down
Tsprague6

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2006 10:20 pm

I think that Hedda is the kind of girl every guy loves to hate. She is manipulative, rude, and definately runs the show. Before we actually finished the story I could tell that something bad would happen to Hedda at the end. A character who has such a strong personality (and not in a good way) will almost always pay for it in the end. I should have posted before we finished the book, but I thought that when Hedda gave up the gun, this was foreshadowing of her own death. I could tell through her actions and words that someone, and I knew it would be a suprise, would die.
Back to top Go down
Julie N

Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2006 11:10 pm

I love Hedda's character in the book. It's different for once, having the women in charge instead of the men. Hedda is a blunt manipulative character who knows what she wants and how to get it . She isn't afraid of anything and does not let anyone/ anything stand in her way. Although it is common now to have the women in charge it wasn't common in the past, so this book seem to be different then the others during it's era just like how Hedda's character is. I bascially loved this book.
Back to top Go down
sierrasmiles

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: i think its wonderful!   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 7:52 am

I absolutely adore Hedda! Hedda is a incredible woman; she is strong, straightforward a go getter, and knows what she wants and who she is. Hedda uses the power she seems to cast down over the people around her, to get what she wants. She is a genious, her manipulative behavour allows her to gain information and use others to her advantage. Even though its so horrible i like how awkward and intense the scene gets whenever she is around aunt julianna, you can just feel aunt julianna's pain and how she tries to impress the smug and rude hedda. Hedda is by far the one of the most slefish characters i have ever read about in a novel, and its hilarious how self interested she is. Hedda is also very aware of her surroundings with each character she plays up a different persona and tries ti evoke a certain reaction from them or discover secrets by gaining trust.
Back to top Go down
the_huffanator

the_huffanator

Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 8:44 am

i dont think that Hedda is completely crazy, i just think that she had the misfortune of being born in the wrong century.

she would be right at home is she was living today heading up the household like it seems many women do in todays world.

her charecter is very frighting at times but i feel it is so weird that none of the other charecters in the play relize what she is trying to say. im guessing because it was unheard of back then.

i think ibsen really developed a brillant intriguing charecter in hedda and i am excited to look at some more of his plays.
Back to top Go down
JanaeNae

Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 3:52 pm

i was really fascinated by the chracter of Hedda Gabler especially because of the time period she was in and the way her behavior and attitude towards life was considered absurd and unacceptable. She wasnt going to be like all the other women in that era which is what i enjoyed most about reading this. Hedda and her relationships with others, even with her husband are distant and unemotional.
Back to top Go down
mar89

mar89

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 4:27 pm

Okay I'm not going to lie, in the beginning of the play I did not like Hedda at all. I thought she was very stubborn, demanding, and two-faced. Although as things started to unfold, I began to see Hedda in a new light. Though she remained the same cold, caniving person, I felt that she was very smart and used her power over people to entertain herself and make her life more enjoyable. She was married to a man whom she didn't love but stayed with him because he waited on her hand and foot. Hedda did not like Mrs. Elvsted, but she pretended to be interested in her problems only to gain insight about Eilert Lovborg. The character of Hedda is dark and dreary, yet unique and intriguing at the same time.
Back to top Go down
GabyA

GabyA

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 6:17 pm

I think an important yet usually disregarded character of the play is Tesman. He and Hedda have seemingly switched traditional roles in the household, as he is timid and lets Hedda control every situation. He fuels Hedda's manipulative personality because he gives in to her demands and allows her to believe that she can act in that way. As shy and submissive as he is, I personally love Tesman's character and the way he says "hm?" as if to ask for everyone's approval of his actions. He is a peaceful character that is taken advantage of by his domineering wife.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler   POST: Reactions to Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next