The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+62
the_huffanator
sierrasmiles
[ s y n n e ]
mswan1
emramos
Edunn116
DieaEruP.2
jalessanoel
kevinb
AustinL
EmilyN
ssawa
BrianG.
mhandf12
julie_m1
elanafink1
lheying
cathyP
cmahlberg4
kjohnson
Celia
JanaeNae
abdi4
christinaJ
LeN
JhuynhEr
AnnaL
GabyA
I.Phillips
Jess.M.Period1
andrewh
knina
Eric
LeighAnne
JeffAlmario
hannahc
maxr409
melissac1
BCallison
mar89
cathycal8
Tsprague6
nicklake
LukeUlrich42
bri fej
kjones4
Marielle66
Gina44
nfait
ANunn1
Monika
Sullivan4
JohnN
mrose
brittanyS1
gargigodbole
CassieG
kielbasaSausage1
Sophiachow
Alyssa
phNguyen
Admin
66 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2006-09-06

PostSubject: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 11:08 pm

Now that you have completed the novel, share your reactions to the novel. What are your likes/dislikes? What is most memorable about the novel or the author's style? Also, feel free to share your thoughts regarding the film version of Ethan Frome. Do you think the director got it right with this cinematic version?
Back to top Go down
https://kelsoapenglish.editboard.com
phNguyen

phNguyen

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 11:27 am

The book was disappointing. Ethan was lame because he was afraid of his wife. Zeena was annoying because she kept faking her illness when she wanted something. Mattie was pathetic for trying to kill herself over a stupid reason like moving away. To me, the author's style consists of making the readers hate her characters so much. Zeena should be run over by a sleigh or train. The director got everything right except the ending. He should have stuck with the book's ending because the book's ending was better.
Back to top Go down
Alyssa

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2006 9:40 am

I'm still kinda eh-ish on the characters. I don't know why, but I really haven't been feeling sympathetic towards any of the characters in the books we've been reading. There's just something about them that I can't quiet latch on to. I'm not one for the third person perspective of writing. I like focusing on one character and knowing their inner thoughts and how the other characters reflect on them. That's probably just me though.
Back to top Go down
Sophiachow

Sophiachow

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2006 2:08 pm

I feel that the ending of this novel tied everything together. Even though I anticipated the events leading up to the incident, the end still came as a shock and devastation. After reading that ending, I expected to feel empty and disappointed, but on some level, the ending is rather needed and the way the novel ends is perfect. This novel has a nostalgic feel to it; after completing it, the story stayed with me and stirred something within me to reminisce about the past. The novel evoked a lot of senses which all contributed to the enjoyment of reading it.
Back to top Go down
kielbasaSausage1

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 10:41 pm

when i first began reading the novel, I was a little bored with it, but as I got further, it became more and more interesting--but just a tad depressing. i don't remember perfectly, but I don't think there was one happy part in the novel. although the end was sad, as well, I enjoyed it. as far as the film goes, it seemed pretty identical to the novel, besides some small differences--however, i actually enjoyed reading the novel more than the film because I had already created my own image of the characters, and did not think that the characters in the film fit too well. also, im not a big fan of liam neeson, and his character seemed to me like a 10-year-old in the film. not sure why, but he just didn't fit.
Back to top Go down
CassieG

CassieG

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2006 11:00 pm

I thought that Ethan Frome was a wonderful novel. It is amazing how much character depth was created in such a short amount of time. I really liked how a quick flash of the present was shown at the beginning, and most of the story was told after that. I loved the wintry effects, and I think that the novel would have turned out completely differently if it did not take place in such a harsh climate. Zeena is a very memorable character from the novel, and I think that readers will always remember how whiny and irritating she is.
Back to top Go down
gargigodbole

gargigodbole

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 10:41 am

The ending of the novel really surprised me, since it was extremely unexpected. Eventhough I finished the book after I watched the movie, I was extremely surprised by how the author ended the book. The book ending had more of an impact on my as a reader than that of the movie ending. Now I have reached to my conclusion that the ending of the novel was the most memorable part for me.
Back to top Go down
brittanyS1

PostSubject: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 4:37 pm

I enjoyed reading Ethan Frome because I loved how Edith Wharton illustrated the scenes. I thought that her metaphors and similies were great, for example, "It's icy slope , scored by innumerable runners, looked like a mirror scratched by travellers at an inn (page 19)." (Honestly, who thinks of that?)
I do feel it was a little spoiled because I finished reading after seeing the movie. Every time I read "Zeena" in a sentence it was hard to get out the image of her sucking that spoon full of medicine clean! Tasty. Although she was a great character her complaints of those darn shooting pains was intolerable. Come on, she was supposed to be a warrior princess! (see: xena the warrior princess... Laughing )
Back to top Go down
mrose

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2006 4:06 pm

I was rather shocked at Ethan and Mattie's deliberate suicidal attempt, but at the same time the author's eloquent writing style made their attempt seem like it was the only way out. I like how Edith Wharton so beautifully portrayed the scene and how she intertwined Ethan's thoughts. Also, Edith Wharton's use of foreshadow was so morbid that I believed Mattie was going to die in the end. I liked how Wharton's ending had a surprising twist, keeping me captivated until the very end of the novel.
Back to top Go down
JohnN

JohnN

Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 1:20 pm

Personally, I thought the book was slow for something so short. It seemed like all of the events were too subtle to make a huge impact until the very end, which I loved. The climax is just too ironic and is one that I'll always remember. One notable aspect of Wharton's writing style was the descriptions of the settings, which would always be cold and lonely. It definately set the mood and it was even better since its winter and we could somewhat relate. As for the movie version, I thought it was more interesting to watch than reading and was a good interpretation of the movie. It did manage to capture the climax well and I enjoyed it. The portrayal of Zeena was great, I started hating her more as the movie continued, but I couldn't really do that while reading the novel.
Back to top Go down
Sullivan4

Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 1:41 pm

I thought that the movie did a great job of representing the book. The best part to see visually was Ethan's walk. That crippling walk just made you cringe, and it had a greater effect to see it rather than to read it. I really enjoyed the read, but did find myself thinking, just kiss already. I preferred the ending of the book over the ending of the movie just because it had a greater impact and went into less depth than the movie did showing the situation with Maddie and Zeena. The book just left it as it was, without any extra emphasis on their new way of life. Short and simple.
Back to top Go down
Monika

Monika

Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 2:44 pm

Everytime started reading the book I fell asleep and had really depressing dreams. This made it a very difficult book to read, it just seemed so depressing, and the whole time I knew that the end was going to be depressing because we already knew that Ethan had the horrible leg and looked miserable from the very beginning. The only thing that kept me reading it was curiosity. I just had to know he got to be that way. It seemed to be written really well, that is also always a good thing.
I thought the movie was really well done. Zeena was a great actress and the setting wasperfect and, well, cold.
Back to top Go down
ANunn1

Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 4:28 pm

I really enjoyed Ethan Frome and only had one major complaint about the film version. It was a great decision by the author to keep the novel short rather than having it drag on for hundreds of pages. This was essential to the story due to its sad and gloomy nature. When a book with such a dark nature drags on it is easy for a reader to get bored or so depressed with a novel that some of the most important messages in the story can be lost. Also the shortness of the story works to shock the reader with its content and unexpected ending. It may take someone only an hour to read it, but its dark and shocking nature will leave a powerful impression on the reader that may not have otherwise been accomplished with a longer story.
The only flaw I found in the film was the portrayal of Mrs. Hale. The director did not accurately display how consumed she was with the Fromes as it is evident in novel. The films shows her as more of an acquaintance while in the novel I got the impression she was deeply consumed by the Fromes' plight.
Back to top Go down
nfait

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 5:00 pm

I thought that the ending of Ethan Frome was so ironic- Zeena miraculously became well and nursed Mattie after the "accident". I felt bad for Ethan because the entire situation was so awkward for him- He knew that Zeena knew that he loved Mattie and then he had to live with both of them for the rest of his life. He never could escape the town when he desperately wanted to- first it was Zeena that kept him there and then Mattie. I think that the surprise ending is perfect for the novel- that last scene where both girls are in the room (especially in the movie) and it hits you that Mattie's suicide attempt failed and she's living with Ethan is definitely the most shocking and memorable.
Back to top Go down
Gina44

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 6:47 pm

I liked the fact that Ethan Frome was short and complete. Although it was depressing and gloomy, there were the descriptive scenes that were intriguing. The portrayal of the snow and seson were pleasant. It was a fairly easy read, and the character developments were interesting with the annoyingness and suspense included.
Back to top Go down
Marielle66

Marielle66

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 7:18 pm

I really liked how the author decided to start with the ending and then have the novel be about how Ethan got to that point. I thought it was too depressing though and the setting definitely made the story have a stronger impact on the readers. I kind of didn't like that there were so many things that supposedly led us to how Ethan got to walk like that...and at the end it was just an accident that could have happened to any one. Well, not really an accident since it was an attempted suicide, but I think the author should have done a little more work on the beginning. I felt a bit dissappointed to know that his leg got bad just because of that drop with mattie...I expected something way bigger and more dramatic, even tough suicide is extremely dramatic, when you think about it, it doesn't give anyone the image of a bad leg. I thought the movie did a really good job on showing the novel, and ethan was very well casted. I actually like the ending of the movie, even though the one in the book was simple and short.
Back to top Go down
kjones4

PostSubject: Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 7:19 pm

Seeing as we watched the movie before I had completed the novel, I found the ending very interesting. That sick twist was definitely not what I had expected. Then, I went home and had to finish the book to see how Wharton wanted the story to end; and I do have to say that I liked her effective descriptions and ending dialogue much better than the movie's. So, for me, it went from a good movie to an even better novel ending.
Back to top Go down
bri fej

bri fej

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 7:42 pm

I really loved Ethan Frome. The ending surprised me and, of course, I absolutely loved the romance in this story Very Happy . I enjoyed the irony at the end and took pleasure in knowing that Zeena got what she deserved. I loved Mattie's free spirit and Ethan's quiet passion. The imagery in this novel is marvelous and captivated me. I feel bad that Ethan and Mattie had such a horrible fate, and it was because Ethan let Mattie steer the sled. I think the movie did a pretty nice job with this novella; I would really like a newer version to be made (I could really see Russel Crowe as Ethan and Maggie Gyllenhal as Mattie...but who knows how they'd be together on screen). This might be my favorite novel of the year so far.
Back to top Go down
LukeUlrich42

LukeUlrich42

Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 8:09 pm

This novel truly affected me, and I thought that the film illustrated an interesting depiction of the charcters brought forth in the novel. I thought it was very interesting that Zeena in fact was the one who was nursing Mattie at the conclusion after the accident. Quite a role reversal, and it was made even more effective in the film.

Good acting in the movie, and a great novel overall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/welcometotheranch
nicklake

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Ethan Frome was a little slow-moving for me, which made it hard to get through. If it was any longer, then it wouldn't have had the same overall effect that it did. The end definately did throw me for a loop though. I was not expecting that at all. It wasn't my favorite book, but I stilll did like it.
Back to top Go down
Tsprague6

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 8:45 pm

The fact that we watched the movie before I finished the story actually was a good thing I think. Although the book had a pretty good description of the setting, watching the movie really set the mood for me. The opening scene in the movie really did it for me. Watching Frome trudge through the snow in what seemed to be such agony for him, literally made me feel depressed and almost cold, just as he was feeling. I enjoyed the ending the most even though I knew what was going to happen. This story suprisingly was enjoyable to me.
Back to top Go down
cathycal8

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 8:48 pm

I like Edith Wharton's writing style and the way she decided to begin Ethan Frome with the eventual ending on Ethan Frome's dreary story. I think it adds interest to the novel and it definetly made me want to read on to see what was up with this guy and his pegged leg. It reminded me of the beginning to the movie Daniel Deronda when it started with the end. I think the director for the film version did a pretty good job by adding the priest in and choosing the actors. Zeena was very well played and I think the ending was really amazing the imagery was dark and it really portrayed the role reversal of Zeena and Mattie very well.
Back to top Go down
mar89

mar89

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 8:58 pm

I felt kind of bittersweet at the end of this novel. I liked Ethan as a man, but I didn't think it was right for him to be so afraid of Zeena, because he was the man in the relationship and she was a pushy, manipulative woman. I really liked Mattie because was a genuine character who came to take care of Zeena and then found her place and love at the same time. The one thing I did not like about the ending of the novel was Ethan and Mattie's accident, and the way Zeena and Mattie changed roles in terms of power and health.
Back to top Go down
BCallison

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Ethan Frome wasn't my favorite novel, but I did enjoy it. I was intriqued by how much depth was in such a short novel. My favorite part of this novel is the ending, where Maddie and Zeena switch roles. I think the film did a good job of portraying the novel. Everytime i saw Ethan limp it made my leg hurt.
Back to top Go down
melissac1

melissac1

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 9:35 pm

I think Wharton did an amazing job with the novel. The story line was very creative, which was enhanced by her writing style. It was twisted and eerie--not to be read at night, but I'd read it again. We saw Ethan in so many different roles: young and tortured with Zeena, young and in love with Mattie, and finally as a regretful recluse, amazing character development.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next