The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+63
Goodman
the_huffanator
sierrasmiles
mswan1
DieaEruP.2
jalessanoel
lheying
christinaJ
JhuynhEr
Cody_W
aSmith
Eric
BCallison
cathycal8
Tsprague6
nicklake
bri fej
AustinL
mhandf12
Edunn116
Monika
brittanyS1
Celia
Julie N
I.Phillips
emramos
nfait
kielbasaSausage1
cathyP
LukeUlrich42
gargigodbole
LWhite1
kjones4
LeN
mar89
melissac1
mrose
Alyssa
ANunn1
BLewis22
Marielle66
Jess.M.Period1
EmilyN
kevinb
CassieG
kjohnson
cmahlberg4
Sophiachow
abdi4
andrewh
knina
JanaeNae
Gina44
hannahc
[ s y n n e ]
LeighAnne
Sullivan4
JeffAlmario
GabyA
JohnN
BrianG.
phNguyen
Admin
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
BCallison

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-12

POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 9:07 pm

I really enjoyed how Doctorow incorporated real-life characters into his novel. I found it interesting to compare how these people acted in real-life compared to the way they were in the novel. This also made it easier to get into the novel because he did not have to spend a couple of pages giving us background about each of these characters.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 10:07 pm

I really liked how all the stories had a message to offer and described how the times were changing. Like how the poor became rich, how the immigrants were integrated, how the white middle class became more tolerant, how the rich became more compassionate, and how time just keeps moving on. The usage of names like “father” and “brother” really put the whole story into a perspective that you could view society as a whole.
Back to top Go down
aSmith

aSmith

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-09-25

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 10:49 pm

I thought it was interesting how Doctorow decided to leave many of his fictional characters unnamed and how, despite not even giving them a real name, he managed to give them depth. I like how this left the characters open to the interpretation of the reader, allowing them to try and connect these characters with characters from other novels as well as real people of the time and often being able to see how little difference there is between them.
Back to top Go down
Cody_W

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2006-09-19

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2007 1:30 am

Doctorow uses an amazing writing style, his uses of metaphores are amazing as well, such as ticker tape. Nothing more appropriate than that with the stock market crash in that era.
Back to top Go down
JhuynhEr

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2007 7:08 pm

At first I really didn't like the book because it jumped around so much. As I continued to read I felt that the story wouldn't have worked if it didn't jump so much. The story was a fun read, I enjoyed how crazy everything got.
Back to top Go down
christinaJ

christinaJ

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2007 8:45 pm

The fact that Ragtime is somewhat historically based made me a bit nervous. I guess I am guilty of judging a book by its cover, but once I started reading the first few pages, I was completely shocked. Doctorow’s writing style is far from boring! I really enjoyed how he was able to combine characters of different race and class, but somehow could make the story run smoothly throughout the novel. Doctorow was able to express the emotions and lifestyles of every character and really portrayed how life was during this period in time. I enjoyed it!
Back to top Go down
lheying

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 10:42 pm

The thing that i liked best about the novel was all the allegorical figures. For example how Coalhouse Walker was more then just a angry African American man fighting for what he believed in, he represented the race relations during the time period he lived in. Also how Father was a representation of traditional men of the late 19th century America. He struggled with the change of the progressive era like many of the men in early 19th century. I enjoyed how Doctorow portrays his characters to reflect more than just the typical female and male expectations of the time period. afro
Back to top Go down
jalessanoel

jalessanoel

Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 8:46 pm

AMAZiNG. THe book in my opinion was just as good as the movie. It's very different from what I'm used to reading. The whole involving fictional events to real events in history was a little weird to me but after some adjusting, I thought it was a pretty sophisticated tie- in.
Back to top Go down
DieaEruP.2

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2007 9:14 pm

i didn't enjoy this novel as much as the others; however what i did find interesting was the use of Coalhouse, Tateh and Father as allegorical characters and how they all accurately reflected the twentieth century. I also like in the novel how E.L. Doctorow incorporated Emma Goldman in his story. I seemed to enjoy the story of Tateh and his little girl most, but I found it interesting how well the three stories soon blended together.
Back to top Go down
mswan1

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 8:13 pm

I found the way Doctrow tied actual events from the 1900's into a story that involved a fictional family. This book also offered views from all different classes and races in New York in the 1900's. It gave a view point of what was going on in that time from all different types of people which helped you know everything that was going on.
Back to top Go down
sierrasmiles

Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: great   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 11:26 pm

i really enjoyed Doctorow's approach to that time period. It was wonderful to see the reality of what is was like to live during those times and how class and race effected one's everyday life. I also loved how through all thier differences they all had one common goal and that was to break free of struggle. It made no difference what race, age, or class they were in, each charcter was struggling for something and they were ultimalty fighting until success. It was also creative how Doctorow used each character to build upon another, the reader watched as each character grew in one way or another by their continual interactions.
Back to top Go down
the_huffanator

the_huffanator

Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2007 5:13 pm

I really enjoyed how a bunch of different stories were blended into one. It was extremely courageous to see how coalhouse defended the rights of his fiance till the very end of the novel. I also loved the film version. It is such a colorful novel and kind of like a little history lesson at the same time.

-Drew
Back to top Go down
Goodman

Goodman

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2007 10:05 pm

I liked it alot. His style was very easy to follow and made the novel very, very easy to read. I especially like his historic fictional characters.
Back to top Go down
ctreffinger

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 7:01 pm

I was impressed by Doctorow's style in Ragtime. As opposed to Flaubert, Doctorow doesnt throw in countless details which can be distracting at times. He is short and concise which makes for a much easier read. I was also impressed by his ability to tell each character's story, each seeming complete and have them all weave together perfectly.
Back to top Go down
chelseac89

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 9:42 pm

I actually really liked Ragtime. It was an extremely good representation of life in that time era, factoring in race and social class. I wasnt expecting to like the novel only because of my strong dislike for history novels, but i was pleasantly surprised. The novel was good, and the movie was great.
Back to top Go down
AnnaL

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-19

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Although each chapter has a different key concept to it, i found this book to be pretty easy to read. I loved the dynamics of the characters, especially Coalhouse Walker and Mother. Doctorow's style of writing really made these two characters seem very powerful and in control of the actions they would take to accomplish their goals.
Back to top Go down
cPalamar

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2006-09-26

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 11:28 pm

The book itself was a easy enough to read and it hit on many key topics, but what I liked most about it was how the author blended fact with fiction by including real life characters alongside his own fictional ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime   POST:  Share a thought about Doctorow's Ragtime - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3