The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+62
the_huffanator
sierrasmiles
[ s y n n e ]
mswan1
emramos
Edunn116
DieaEruP.2
jalessanoel
kevinb
AustinL
EmilyN
ssawa
BrianG.
mhandf12
julie_m1
elanafink1
lheying
cathyP
cmahlberg4
kjohnson
Celia
JanaeNae
abdi4
christinaJ
LeN
JhuynhEr
AnnaL
GabyA
I.Phillips
Jess.M.Period1
andrewh
knina
Eric
LeighAnne
JeffAlmario
hannahc
maxr409
melissac1
BCallison
mar89
cathycal8
Tsprague6
nicklake
LukeUlrich42
bri fej
kjones4
Marielle66
Gina44
nfait
ANunn1
Monika
Sullivan4
JohnN
mrose
brittanyS1
gargigodbole
CassieG
kielbasaSausage1
Sophiachow
Alyssa
phNguyen
Admin
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ssawa

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 7:12 pm

I couldn't decide if i liked the novel or not. I really did not like Zeena at all. Ethan seemed like he was scared of his wife which was...weird. She was always "sickly" and it just started to get annoying. The end of the novel was a shock to me. Seeing the ending through the movie added a gloomy/dark feel to it because I got to visually see the changes in each of the characters.
Back to top Go down
EmilyN

EmilyN

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 8:22 pm

My final reaction to Ethan Frome was one of not total shock, but still a sense of surprise. I thought the book was well written, but I couldn't quite get into as much as I expected from Edith Wharton. I was a little bit disturbed by Ethan's adulterous thoughts. In terms of the movie, I wasn't quite comfortable with Liam Neeson playing Ethan becuase I have such an ingrained image of his as the righteous Jean Valjean. But overall, it was a relatively enjoyable book.
Back to top Go down
AustinL

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 8:54 pm

It is ironic that the smash up in Ethan Frome was a sleding crash. Somthing that is so much fun could create so much misfourtane. The fact that Zeena ended up taking care of someone else who was ill was ironic aswell. I'm not sure how i fealt about the ending of the book. There was so much conflict in the book it is hard to tell if justice was served. There was obviously misfourtane, but was it dealt out to the right people?
Back to top Go down
kevinb

kevinb

Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 9:32 pm

The ending of the novel was very ironic and I enjoyed the twist of it. Frome seems to have gone through a lot of short comings in his lifetime, and it seems understandable why he just keeps to himself. The moment when I discovered that both of the women were locked up in his room stood out in my mind and I couldn't get over it. He seems like a pimp, but in a not so happy way because he is left to take care of both of them. My impression of his original wife is someone who you just want to rid of and no matter how bad things are with it, they keep on persisting to live.
Back to top Go down
jalessanoel

jalessanoel

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Reaction   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 11:41 pm

I didn't really like the ending of the book. I just want to read a book where love prevails. Like, almost all the books i've read, not just in this class but in my free time, have been about how people have some kind of attraction for each other and it has to be destroyed by something disasterous or gruesome. I have to say the movie was a little more entertaining than the book, I guess because I can identify the people that play the characters and for some reason it's easier to pay attention to well known faces.
Back to top Go down
DieaEruP.2

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2007 9:29 pm

The ending was predictable because it was foreshadowed earlier in the book. while reading the book the reader is constantly searching for clues as to how Ethan injured himself and it became obvious when Ethan and Mattie were discussing sledding down the hill someday. I disliked the wife very much. Overall the novel was ok it probably would have been better if the ending was more surprising.
Back to top Go down
Edunn116

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 11:22 pm

I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed the novel. Each character was really introduced with a large background so you really felt connected to each character as an individual. In the novel, Ethan Frome there was such an icy shadow on the book where as I reader I never really felt happy...more of tired and gloomy. The ending of the novel especially surprised me and was really depressing. It was perfect for the setting though and I can understand why many learn to love this book.
Back to top Go down
emramos

Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 5:25 pm

This wasn't one of my favorite novels this year. I just found it a bit boring and slow and hard ot get into. The movie was well done in some respects but the ending was rather dramatic with the shot of the sled flyign in the air. It just didn't fit with the tone in the rest of the movie. Plus the MAttie actress bugged me. I thought the ending was fitting for such a chilly novel though I really just wish Mattie would have just run off with him instead of deciding to unsuccessfully end her life with Ethan.
Back to top Go down
mswan1

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 8:29 pm

I'm not a big fan of this book. The characters bugged me a lot. The fact that Ethan was a wuss and couldn't stand up to his wife was annoying, a marriage should be 50/50 and in this one its just Zeena dominating over Ethan. Then there's Zeena who's always waking her conditions to get attention and more meds, she just a sorry case. And Mattie was ridiculous when she attempted suicide just because she had to move a way. I did think it was cute thought how Ethan and Mattie fell in love, I liked them together a lot better than Ethan and Zeena.
Back to top Go down
[ s y n n e ]

[ s y n n e ]

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 6:23 pm

=D

I loved the twist at the end!!! I was laughing to myself. Anyways, I am not found of people who cheat on their lover so, I was kind of disappointed at Ethan. I say it must've been karma...
Back to top Go down
sierrasmiles

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: wow   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 11:34 pm

The end of Ethane Frome was the part of the novel i enjoyed the most. The novel i felt dragged on a bit, and although the ending was kind of sick and shocking i really liked it! It may sound silly but i thought it was beautiful that Ethane and Mattie loved eachother some much that they would committ suicide together. I felt like becasue it was almost impossible for them to be fully in love and alone together that the fact that they wanted to leave the earth and find another way to be together was almost romantic.
Back to top Go down
the_huffanator

the_huffanator

Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2007 5:10 pm

I thought the ending to ethan frome was great...especially seeing it done on film. I love how the tide turns all of a sudden and Zenna becomes healthy and Mattie is sick and lonely. I thought both the book and the movie were very slow though and it was tough to get in that reading "groove". However it was extremely well written and extremely well acted! that all

-Drew
Back to top Go down
ctreffinger

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 6:46 pm

To me, the end of the novel was quite disappointing. Although we learned in the beginning what Ethan's fate was, but throughout the entire story I kept hoping it would turn out otherwise. I really felt sorry for him, having to spend the rest of his life crippled, cast out from society and stuck with his especially irritating wife.
Back to top Go down
chelseac89

Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 9:50 pm

i thought the ending of the novel was great. It was totally unexpected and truthfully shocking. It was ironic and i loved the ending. However, i found the novel sort of boring. It was that same old love story that ive seen a hundred times in other works....man is married, man falls in love with young little thing, trajic incident occurs preventing the affair, man stuck with old hag(wife)...it was all too familiar.
Back to top Go down
cPalamar

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2006-09-26

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 11:43 pm

The book was pretty boring to me until the end. The end was not unexpected but it felt fufilling (for lack of a better word) to see it all tied together at the end. The movie was a good addition to reading the book because of the visual reference and because it helped me sort out some scenes i didnt understand.
Back to top Go down
LWhite1

LWhite1

Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2007 8:10 am

i hated the ending! I thought it was romantic and noble that he wanted to die together with his younger lover, but i hated that he became a cripple from a sleigh accident, that disappointed me. I wanted it to be because his wife was uspset and she had done something to him. I like the irony in the end though; how the roles of the cared-for and the care-taker were reversed. That added a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Final Reaction to Ethan Frome   POST:  Final Reaction to Ethan Frome - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3