The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+55
Buttermore
BrianG.
JhuynhEr
julie_m1
nicklake
nfait
elanafink1
kielbasaSausage1
the_huffanator
Monika
JanaeNae
I.Phillips
Edunn116
cathyP
maxr409
NataliaJones
LeN
aSmith
gargigodbole
Celia
bri fej
BCallison
Alyssa
Jess.M.Period1
cmahlberg4
Tsprague6
andrewh
christinaJ
emramos
Sullivan4
Julie N
kjohnson
Marielle66
LWhite1
sierrasmiles
CassieG
hannahc
Sophiachow
EmilyN
brittanyS1
melissac1
AnnaL
kevinb
GabyA
lheying
mrose
[ s y n n e ]
knina
ANunn1
Goodman
JeffAlmario
JohnN
phNguyen
chelseac89
Admin
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sullivan4

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-08

Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2006 10:24 am

I think even though we were all hoping for the perfect Hollywood ending where Deronda returns to Gwendolen and everything is perfect, I don't think it would have worked. Gwendolen, to truly learn from her mistakes, had to bear the impact of the choices she had made. She knew that marrying Grandcourt for money was wrong, and that expressing her feelings to Daniel was even worse while she was a married woman. If she had succeeded in marrying Daniel, she would have learned nothing because she would have won.
ps: I totally thought she would be pregnant with Grandcourt's child at the end. Too bad she wasn't. Talk about living with your mistakes.....
Back to top Go down
emramos

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2006 1:33 pm

I really enjoyed the movue so Bravo to Kelso. I didn't however leave with the best impression of the movie from the ending. It's not that I found the ending unfitting, it seemed logical and Gwendiline did deserve to repent for her selfishness. It's just that Daniel's relationship with Mirah did not seem to have developed enough in the movie to explain him falling in love and there was not enough emphasis on his desire to understand his religion for him to go sailing off to become the leader of the Jews. In that sense the ending felt wrong but I think that could have been remedied if the relationships were allowed more time to grow. That I can fault to the prduction of movies. There are always sacrifices to be made when making a film version of a novel and I suppose this was it. I am sure, though I have never read it, that the book spent more time with the development so that the ending seemed more understandable.
Back to top Go down
christinaJ

christinaJ

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2006 6:37 pm

I wasn't happy with the ending because I felt it needed one more big scene or event, yet it made sense. Daniel's decision between Gwendolen and Mirah completely relates to one of the major themes of the book, social class. Gwendolen is richer than Mirah, yet it doesn't make Gwendolen the better person. Daniel is able to make a better connection with Mirah, not because of her place in the class system or of her wealth, but because of her personality and who she is as a person. Daniel realizes sincerity, passion, and inner worth is much more important than wealth or class. Gwendolen also realizes that money isn't always everything and in the end becomes a better person. Although it seemed like Daniel was attracted to both women, he got to know Mirah a lot more and realized they had much in common. Compared to Gwendolen, Mirah was more genuine because she accepted who she was and where she came from, whereas Gwendolen constantly asked for more from others as if she wasn't happy with her current life. Terrific movie, I absolutely love it!!
Back to top Go down
andrewh

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2006 8:08 pm

The ending of Daniel Deronda was pretty good. I felt that Mr. Grandcourt got what he deserved. And I just felt that it was kind of depressing that he didn’t choose Gwendolen since she was all into him, despite playing her manipulative games. One of the great moments in the film was when Gwendolen and Daniel were in her bed room and Grandcourt walks in and doesn’t even say a lick and just stares at them. That is the power of emotions and the producer did a great job outlining the significance of that scene.
Back to top Go down
Tsprague6

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2006 9:59 pm

As far as the ending of the film goes, I was very disappointed. The entire film was filled with unexpected and dramatic scenes, and so I was expecting a huge ending too. I thought for sure that in the end Gwendolen would end up killing herself. I didn't really like Gwendolen's reaction to Deronda's news that he was to marry Mirah either. Although she did tear up a little, I think it would have been more powerful if she would have been more dramatic or violent towards him. In my opinion, it seemed to all just end too good to be true.
Back to top Go down
cmahlberg4

Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: ending of Daniel Deronda   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2006 9:44 am

I thought the ending wasn't set up well by the rest of the movie. It seemed weird that the Contessa would say "you're in love with a Jewess" and Daniel would all of a sudden go after Mirah and ask her hand in marriage. I didn't see much of a connection between Mirah and Daniel and it seemed that Gwendolen cared more about Daniel than Mirah. I think the scene where Daniel saved Mirah was the only real connection they had.

Daniel was an interesting character because he was so confused and seemed to have two personalities. I hated Daniel when he was in Engish society because he was indecisive and had no purpose. The scenes when Daniel doesn't kiss Gwendolen emphasize that he is a pansy and doesn't connect with the English lifestyle. The Jewish part of Daniel is strong and adventurous. He makes affirmative decisions to save Mirah, visit the Contessa, and spend time in the Jewish neighborhoods. I think Daniel subconsciously knew he had a Jewish side and knew that he did not belong in English nobility.
Back to top Go down
Jess.M.Period1

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2006 11:05 am

I liked this film a lot. I was happy with the ending, even though Hans was left alone. I really, really hated Gwendolen. I was glad that she did not get Daniel, she did not deserve him and she would have just sucked him dry then leave him for another man. I thought that the relationship between Mirah and Daniel was genuine. From the moment they laid eyes on each other, there was something there, something that made Daniel turn back and save her. Gewndolen and Daniels mother, Contessa are very similar. For a mother to abandon her child so she can continue with her career is pretty low. I could see Gwendolen doing something like this for her own personal gain. The pain that this caused Daniel was heart wrenching. Daniel thinking that his mother must be in great need of help or else she never would have abandoned him was really sad.
Back to top Go down
Alyssa

Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2006 7:32 pm

Ah. This movie. Oh goodness. How much I looked forward to going to class to watch it. I don't really know how I felt about the end it, though. I didn't want to see Daniel end up with Gwendelon, but at the same time, Daniel and Mirah seem just as wrong. I was kinda hoping for a third woman to show up who had it all. To me, it just seemed like neither of the women really deserved Daniel. Maybe I'm just a little biased. I've had this conversation with Cody already, and he made a point about how Daniel seemed to take the fact that he was Jewish and was like, "Alright. I'm going to do everything Jewish now. Lead the people. Choose the Jewish girl." It just seemed a little... I don't know. We knew from the beginning how much Hans loved Mirah that Daniel just sidestepping him made me a little wary to him.
Back to top Go down
BCallison

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2006 8:35 pm

I really did not like the ending of the film. Throughout the entire film, Daniel was in love with Gwendolen and she was in love with him. Then Mirah comes along and really isn’t that big of a factor in their relationship until Daniel finds out he’s a Jew. The second he found that out he all of a sudden strayed away from Gwendolen and went towards Mirah. I think that a better ending would be Mirah and Hans getting married because let’s face it, Hans was completely obsessed with Mirah, and Gwendolen and Daniel getting married.
Back to top Go down
bri fej

bri fej

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Soooo this movie was AMAZING! Probably one of the best I've ever seen at school. However, I really really unsatisfied with the ending. I'm not saying Daniel and Gwen should have ended up together, but I just REALLY think Mirah and Hands should have gotten married! He loved her so much and I feel like Daniel just stole her away. It's like the "you shouldn't date who your best friend likes" rule. I'm happy for Gwen though - she ended up back with her family and she learned many valuable life lessons. Because of Daniel, she's a much better person.

I also wish the movie would have elaborated more on Morticai ( I KNOW I spelled his name wrong). It just kind of seemed random that Daniel was so avid about leading the Jews and we dont really get to see the influence Morticai had on him.

By the way - Hugh Dancy is beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Celia

Celia

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Gwen got a hold of the soundtrack to Titanic   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2006 11:53 pm

2. a discussion of one of the key characters

I personally think Gwendolen got more than she deserved at the end. Although what she had to deal with in her marraige was horrible that was pretty typical in those days expecially when you married for money or status. People tend to forget what a complete brat Gwendolen was at the beginning of the novel and even though she supposedly "learns her lesson" when all is done and said, i don't think that is a realistic conclusion.

She doesn't learn her lesson at all.

She might have made some sort of resolution to be nicer to the people around her, but what she is at the core is a self centered brat and no amount of forced marital intercourse or controlling societal whositwhatsits will change that. Gwendolen being a completely "changed" person is a nice idea but it's nothing more than that, as she demonstrates her "world revolves around me" attitude in her letter to Daniel at the end.
She says something along the lines of...don't feel sorry for me, I am a better person for having known you, and some Celine Dion "my heart will go on" bull that just adds to the unattractiveness of her character. Her letter is just another cry for attention, another attempted fasade of her own gracefulness that is just to obvious.

Gwendolen is a big drama queen and she deserved just what she got.

Additionally, I'm glad she looks ugly when she cries.
Back to top Go down
gargigodbole

gargigodbole

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 6:02 pm

I loved this film, especially the ending. When Mirah was first introduced as a character, I was hoping that her and Daniel will end up together, which did happen. I also like the fact that Gwendolen didn't get what she desired the most, Daniel. I felt extremely sorry for Hans, though, because he went through so much trouble to get Mirah to love him, without any positive result. It was also very nice that Daniel and Mirah set off to Jerusalem to help to Jewish race. Overall, I would say that this movie has a perfect ending.
Back to top Go down
aSmith

aSmith

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 7:25 pm

For most of the movie (after there's some interaction between Mirah and Daniel) I would have bet money the she was the one he would end up with. Towards the end however, I kind of started to question whether or not that's how things would indeed play out. Both Mirah and Gwendolyn have their own unique qualities, both of which draw attraction from Daniel and it seemed to me that with all the "heart to hear" talks Gwendolyn and Daniel began to have towards the end that he might just fall for her.

In the end, Gwendolyn just has too much going against her in my eyes. If I were Daniel I would've made the same choice to allow for a little peace while I "served my people." As much as I thought Mirah was a little too perfect and virtuous she'd definitely be a little bit easier to put up with than the whiny princess Gwendolyn.
Back to top Go down
LeN

LeN

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 7:53 pm

4. your thoughts on the conclusion of the film

I think the author designs Daniel's marriage to Mirah as a symbolic action. It just shows that he chooses his Jewish inheritance, rather than his English inheritance. I don't think Daniel loves Mirah more than Gwendolen. Daniel and Gwendolen have many affectionate scenes together, while we rarely see any between him and Mirah. If i can change the ending to a more probable one. I would have Daniel marry to Gwendolen. Gwendolen dies a happy death a few years later (since she doesnt desverse to "live happily ever after". Mirah leaves for Israel. She who sends letters to Daniel to tell him how he changes her life and inspire her to live on. As to Daniel, he remains a gentleman. He starts his own organization to economically help the poor Jewish in Europe.
Back to top Go down
NataliaJones

NataliaJones

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 9:04 pm

I think that one of the greatest moments in the film is Daniel's meeting with his mother. It is that meeting that has opened his eyes and made clear the pathway that is before him. It was great to see the acting in this scene, he discovers that he is a Jew, that he is in love with Mirah, that his mission in life is to discover a land for the Jews and to become a great leader, just as his "father" figure Hugo had always told him that he would be good at.

Just as he said in that one scene with Mirah, his life had utter confusion all the time until the moment he met her and her brother. He had found meaning in his own life besides just helping those unfortunate he saw. He actually found a way to make use of his learning passionately into something he believed in.

The acting in that one scene with his mother is absolutely my favorite because he also realizes that the one person that he wants to help the most doesn't want to be helped and, in addition, helps him the most in terms of direction for his life. She had given him the better life, she couldn't love and raise him the way she would have wanted him to be raised, and so she gave him to someone who loved him very much. She kept him away from a life that would trap him with one occupation as a Jew, rather she gave him a chance to learn all things and when the time came she gave him the truth. Once he had the truth he could decide what it was that he wanted most, rather than having it forced upon him.

So, in a way, his mother helped him immensely and brought him much comfort by bringing focus and meaning into his life, specifically helping him realize that he was in love with Mirah.

So, all in all, the scene where Daniel met his mother was my favorite scene in the film.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nataliajones.com
maxr409

PostSubject: Reactions to Daniel Deronda   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 pm

When Daniel decides that he is going to marry Mirah at the end of the movie, I was shocked. The whole movie seemed to be setting up the characters of Gwendolen and Daniel. The only obstacle that was separating the two throughout the story was Grandcourt, and he was conveniently taken care of. It seemed like everything was set for the two of them to get together and then he marries Mirah. Not only did he do this, but he also does this knowing that his good friend, Hans, is still interested in her. I know that he was excited to know his Jewish heritage, although he should have waited and thought it out more. Overall I think that the ending was decent but not great.
Back to top Go down
cathyP

Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 10:38 pm

I really liked this film, the story was interesting and Daniel Deronda was quite the hottie =] Anyways, regarding to the ending of the film, I was some what disappointed about Daniel and Gwendolen not being with each other. It seemed that after Grandcourt's death, it was certain that Daniel and Gwendolen would be together. It suited the story for Daniel to end up being with Gwendolen due to her self pity and sorrow. While watching, I was definitely expecting the "Hollywood" ending. Although, I can see why George Eliot would end the story the way she did. The ending was realistic and surprising. It also made sense for Daniel to be end up with Mirah, she was caring and unselfish unlike Gwendolen. George's Eliot's ending was realistic but I have to say I wanted Daniel and Gwendolen to be together in the end.
Back to top Go down
Edunn116

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2006 11:26 pm

I personally did not like the ending to this movie. Dont get me wrong I loved the movie itself but the ending not so much. I really wanted him to end up with gwendolen. I think I hoped for that so bad because well I love happy fairy tail endings and I really didnt like Mirah. I know I know im an interesting person. Also i loved how Grandcourt died. Just the way he presented himself bothered me, so he deserved a horrible death!
Back to top Go down
I.Phillips

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2006 1:23 pm

I did not like the end of the film at all. to be completly honest it may just be the worst possible ending. First of all Daniel just gives up on everything his mother and Hugo had worked so hard to build. Second of all it takes Deronda's quility of helping other to an utter extreme. Daniel does not find himself in love with Mirah until he finds out that he is a jew, and second that Mirah for sure has no more family and has to bear loosing her brother for a second time. Also Daniel's resoning for wanting to go the lead the jews, is concentraded in mainly completing MIrah's brother's dream and of helping the Jewish race. Don't get me wrong, its noble at heart, but it goes to far to have this man's entire life change because fo someone elses asperations. The only time in novel when i was abel see Daniels own personal intrest arise was at the begining of the movie when he eyes Gwendolen at the gambling table, so consequently i think he should have ended up with her.
Back to top Go down
JanaeNae

Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2006 7:52 pm

The conclusion to this film was worth watching mainly because it didnt meet everyone elses expectation. Mirah and Daniel are obvioulsy perfect for each other, yes they lack the passion that Daniel had with Gwendalyn but Gwendalyn does not deserve him and in the end becomes a better person because she doesnt get waht she wants.
Back to top Go down
Monika

Monika

Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2006 12:28 pm

I loved the movie, but the whole time I was thinking about how Daniel and Gwendolen were going to end up together..Trying to think of all the possibilities for their passionate "i love you moment".................which never happened. Maybe if I was expecting Daniel and Mirah to end up together the ending wouldn't have been such a horrible shock. And what about Hans!??! Poor Hans, why did Daniel have to steal the women he loves? Just because Mirah is a jew doesn't mean you have to marry her. I wanted Daniel to propose to Mirah and for her to be say something along the lines of ..."umm..actually I am in love with Hans" and it would be sort of awkward but really Daniel is in love with Gwendolen so everything would have worked out.
I guess he changed her outlook on life but really, I liked her as a bitch. And Daniel was too good anyways, no one can be like that all the time, it's practically insane.
Back to top Go down
the_huffanator

the_huffanator

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2006 5:18 pm

first off, i have to say this might be the only "romantic, slow" movie i have truely enjoyed...all the way up until the ending.

i felt the switch from a romantic movie to a religious movie was un nessescary and a little boring. i wish they would of stuck with the relationships rather than daniels jewish herritage.

if i were him, i would not marry either one of those women. mirah is his best friends girl and gwen is just a stuck up woman who thinks she should have all the power during a time where society was dominated my men. if i were him i would of chosen to keep looking for a woman and i would not have left to discover my religion...but that brings up another point.

this might sound a little gay and maybe i am not in the position to say this...but never have i met a man so generous, and nice, and thoughtful. the man does not have a mean bone in him which i believe is un realistic. all that and he happens to be somewhat charming and...from a straight mans point of view...very good looking.

however, a quality movie and i really cant say elliot did anything wrong because she is such a famous genios.
Back to top Go down
kielbasaSausage1

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Before we started watching the film I wasn't really sure what to expect, but once we started watching it in class, I got sucked into it because I thought that it was actually very interesting. I almost felt as if I was watching a soap opera (if it had been a series, I probably would have watched it). I also thought that the cinematography was great, and loved how they depicted the Jewish ghetto in contrast to the upperclass lives of the main characters.

The end though...I wish that Daniel had ultimately hooked up with Gwendolen. Definitely not cool marrying...that other suicidal girl. I guess it makes sense though, and everyone turns out happy anyway, so it's fine. Still though...Daniel, you could have totally gotten Gwendolen. The good one. Jeez.

Overall, I really enjoyed watching the film and would definitely recommend it to anyone in search of a good, entertaining love story.

Shoulda gone with Gwenny though...
Back to top Go down
elanafink1

elanafink1

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2006 9:43 pm

Alright, it felt as though almost everyone (or at least most of the guys) in my period disagreed with me when I said that I felt that the ending was perfect. Gwendolin was too bratty to ever deserve Daniel. Mira was perfect and sweet and everyone says I like her because she's Jewish, but hey I'm not even religious and I love her. I'd love her no matter what religious heritage I came from because she was a good person and was kind to everyone. Gwendolin was a little twit and only did was was best for her. So, good job Daniel.
Back to top Go down
nfait

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2006 1:08 pm

I personally liked the end of the film. I didn't think that Gwen deserved Daniel- everything she did was for herself, and Daniel is all about helping other people. (The boat scene! Definitely my favorite!) I liked that Daniel found out who he was and married Mirah- I think that they're perfect for each other! Daniel and Gwen together just wouldn't make sense. Besides, I think that Gwen really did kill Grandcourt even though she said she just didn't save him and Daniel can't marry a murderer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post: Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon)   Post:  Reactions to Daniel Deronda (closing soon) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next