The AP Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AP Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to AP English Literature

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+59
EmilyN
JhuynhEr
kjones4
Celia
lheying
[ s y n n e ]
ANunn1
Goodman
chelseac89
Jess.M.Period1
AustinL
AnnaL
mhandf12
Gina44
kielbasaSausage1
BCallison
I.Phillips
christinaJ
melissac1
Edunn116
elanafink1
Marielle66
Eric
LWhite1
brittanyS1
CassieG
cmahlberg4
NataliaJones
the_huffanator
Monika
gargigodbole
julie_m1
maxr409
cathyP
Alyssa
abdi4
GabyA
jalessanoel
JanaeNae
cathycal8
Julie N
LeN
Tsprague6
nicklake
mrose
andrewh
hannahc
knina
Sullivan4
JohnN
nfait
Sophiachow
JeffAlmario
bri fej
kevinb
phNguyen
LeighAnne
emramos
Admin
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cathyP

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 11:01 pm

Personally I really liked the ending of Hedda Gabler. It was drastic yet it suited the play very well. I believe that Hedda had to end her life. She could not possibly continue on knowing that Mrs. Elvsted might be an inspiration to Tesman as she had to Eilert. Also knowing that she does not have any control, she also could not live on knowing that Judge Brack has complete power over her. Hedda’s suicide act was exactly what Hedda had expected from Eilert. She wanted him to end his life in an act of beauty, to have the courage to end his life by shooting himself. When Hedda shot herself in the head, it was an act of beauty that she had desired from Eilert.
Back to top Go down
maxr409

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 11:18 pm

I think that the ending of Hedda Gabler is completely appropriate. Hedda would not have resigned herself to be under the power of any other person, especially a creep like Judge Brack. While I think that the ending is appropriate, I believe that Hedda choose the cowardly way out. I thought she was going to leave the room and come back to shoot Judge Brack. She seemed like a woman of action throughout the entire play but at the end her willpower just seems to disappear and she commits suicide. The ending is ironic because if she had not burnt the manuscript then her husband would not have been taken away from her by Thea.
Back to top Go down
julie_m1

Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 11:21 pm

I think the ending worked perfectly with the play. During the play we learned that Hedda is headstrong, independent, and unapologetic. All of these personality traits would have hindered her from ever being in a position of submission. It is not that she refused to be dependent on Judge Brack, but rather that she was truly unable to be. Very few people would choose death over submission, but Hedda is definitely one of them. I can't help but wonder what she was thinking when she pulled the trigger.
Back to top Go down
julie_m1

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2006 11:22 pm

I think the ending worked perfectly with the play. During the play we learned that Hedda is headstrong, independent, and unapologetic. All of these personality traits would have hindered her from ever being in a position of submission. It is not that she refused to be dependent on Judge Brack, but rather that she was truly unable to be. Very few people would choose death over submission, but Hedda is definitely one of them. I can't help but wonder what she was thinking when she pulled the trigger.
Back to top Go down
gargigodbole

gargigodbole

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2006 10:09 am

Ithought the ending to Hedda Gabler was quite predictable because it seemed to me that such a strong woman could never survive in that society. The entire character of Hedda Gabler seemed that it was only surviving for power and authority over all the other characters, except Judge Brack, who was more powerful than her. At the end of the novel, after Eilert Lovborg's death, Hedda lost her power, especially by Judge Brack, who treated Hedda treated Mrs. Elvested did in the first act. While George Tesman was examining the notes with Mrs. Elvested, Hedda was told to leave the room by her husband, which proved her lack of power. I therefore don't think this is an act of cowardness, but Hedda' wanting to be only known for power and nothing else. As some of my class said, Hedda is actually a power figure for the women in the society and her suidide proved that women should never loose their power and be remembered for it.
Back to top Go down
Monika

Monika

Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2006 10:41 am

Hedda wasn't all that evil; she was just a bit manipulative. I loved the ending everything all comes together in one big explosion. It couldn't have ended any other way. Have Hedda be under the control of Judge Brack? No way. Hedda always has to be in complete control, so in the end she had to complete the final act proving that she has the ultimate control over at least her own life, even if she couldn't control another man's destiny. I guess Hedda could have gone on some insane killing spree, shooting Judge Brack, George and Thea, but then that would bring in the cops and all that scandal, and the play would be alot longer. At least she proved to herself that it could be done beautifully. Poor Hedda, if only Eilert wasn't such a screw up.
Back to top Go down
the_huffanator

the_huffanator

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2006 2:55 pm

wow what a great ending.

is it just me or did we all predict this ending? what a scary confused lady. i thought ilben put this ending together brillantly and i love how all the other charecters had no clue what was really going through hedda's mind.

i thought it was ironic because of the fact she was trying to get benethe the skin of everyone else but at the end, she was the one who couldnt take it! ha! great!
Back to top Go down
NataliaJones

NataliaJones

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2006 8:48 pm

This whole ending episode really reminded me of Javert in Les Miserables. As soon as she discovered that she was trapped, that her way was no longer the way she wanted it, then she was cornered to live in a world that was pure torture to her. Not only does Judge Brack own her, but also her husband no longer truly obeys her, but strays off to tribute in Eilert's memory alongside Thea, one of her most strong rivals at the end of the book. Seeing what was ahead for her, she saw no reason to live. She did not fear the once bored life she had, but the life that would bring her to something worse than death. She, knowing that Eilert had done it wrong, would choose to do it the right way. To make the best exit, she made sure everyone was there (or at least in the other room). Played her exiting music, causing a slight uproar until she could finally end her life by her own choice and not by delirium. It was a perfect suicide by her own standards, and she would not have gone out any other way.

I personally was shocked, but after analyzing her reasons, I was no longer surprised. I didn't approve of that, for sure. And it was perfect that Judge Brack said that people don't do that kind of thing, because that very saying describes our Hedda. Hedda is not like people, but rather her own person in her own world. Once her world was disturbed, she would rather end it than to see what ends would unfold before her to her very death anyway. She just quickened the process and went out the way she wished.

In a literary sense, it was a fabulous ending to a great piece of literature and a perfect ending for a grand character such as Hedda. I look forward to seeing more strong women like her in the future books we take on in this English class.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nataliajones.com
cmahlberg4

Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2006 11:39 pm

I didn't like the ending of the play because it made everything right in a society that was full of deceit and unequal personalities. The only characters that benefit from the ending are, Tesman for losing Hedda, and Mrs. Elvsted for having someone to help write Eilert's book. It seems unnatural that the good, innocent, and ignorant characters get to survive after being dominated earlier in the story. Brack, Hedda and Eilert commanded the most power in the play but in the end lose almost all of it. It doesn't make sense that the complex society Ibsen created throughout the story could be so simple in the end.
Back to top Go down
CassieG

CassieG

Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2006 2:30 pm

I loved the ending of this play. When I first read it, I thought that she only killed herself because she was bored with her life and did not want to be controlled by Judge Brack. The first time around, i also appreciated that she used the twin pistol which had killed Lovborg. When I heard the final scene being acted out in class, I realized that there was a whole other layer to her decision to commit suicide. She wanted to prove and to show that death could be beautiful. She did this by shooting herself in the temple, where she wanted Lovborg to do it as well. This final act is sort of like her defiance and final "ah-ha" to the world. I loved it.
Back to top Go down
brittanyS1

Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Ending of hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2006 4:46 pm

I feel that Hedda's fate was the perfect ending to a great play! Although we all could expect that her cruel ways would eventually lead to her demise.
I did think that it was ironic how throughout the play we see that her one goal in life is to control the life of another, "to have power to mould a human destiny" and in the end, it is Judge Brack who is in control of her. When Hedda realizes that Brack can blackmail her with the knowledge of Eilert Lovborg's death, she sees that the continuation of her existence could never be a happy one. In killing herself, Hedda was able to at least be in control of her life, in the sense that she will not be living a miserable, oppressed one. That's what is perfect about the play, the fact that she indeed does get to mold a human destiny (in a sick way of course) and that is hers.
Back to top Go down
LWhite1

LWhite1

Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2006 4:49 pm

I did not like the ending, however I see how it works. Hedda has an obvious admiration for people brave enough to take their own lives, she thinks it glorious and enviable. After realizing that she would have to be indebted to some one for the rest of her life, willingly let a man 'rape' her when he pleased, if you will, she decides upon that dramatic ending. I think the only reason she does it is because the idea was already implanted her in her mind, when she had thought that her lover had commited suicide, because murdering oneself is not the first response one thinks of when contemplating a solution to ones problems.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2006 5:10 pm

The ending was perfect for this play. As soon as she thought she had accomplished her goal, she realizes that she is actually pretty insignificant in the lives of the people around her. She may be rude, cocky, and controlled, but the fact of the matter is that she never was able to be the key motivator in anyone’s life. She wasn’t the one that inspired Loveborg to write that novel, she wasn’t able to make Loveborg commit suicide, and she wasn’t able to even affect her husband’s life more than Loveborg’s death. Hedda got exactly what she deserved. Not only did she realize that she had no impact on their lives but now she was the one being controlled.
Back to top Go down
Marielle66

Marielle66

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2006 11:27 pm

I thought the ending of Hedda Gabler was perfect! there couldn't have been a better one. A reader wants an ending that is unexpected, those are the best endings, if a reader knows what is going to happen at the end of a story, they are not as interested, I was extremely curious to know what would happen in the end and it turned out to be excellent!
In a way I think Hedda is extremely smart but in her own way. She has opinions different to other people's like thinkng about the beauty and courage it takes to commit suicide. I really like how she thinks she has everything under her power and at the end it all backs up on her and she realizes that she didn't accomplish anything. the ending is just so great and reveals so much... I love this play!
alien
Back to top Go down
elanafink1

elanafink1

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 11:05 am

Well unfortunately I had a hunch from the beginning that Hedda would commit suicide because of my mother. I told her what we were reading and without thinking she exclaimed "Wow is that the play about the girl who kills herself?!". So for the entire time our class was listening to the recorded version, I was secretly waiting for that moment. When it finally came it was more of a relief to me than anything else but I had been anticipating it. Therefore the ending unfortunately did not much suprise me.
Back to top Go down
Edunn116

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 11:36 am

I thought the ending to Hedda Gabler was definitely the perfect ending. Hedda was such a strong, stubborn character and there is no way she could have gone with having guilt, or feeling black mailed. With Gabler being such a selfish character she had to go down on top. By her shooting herself was just the perfect way. When Hedda made her first appearence in the novel she came in as a very powerful women, very persuasive. It was awesome how she entered and ended the novel with the same affect on people.
Back to top Go down
melissac1

melissac1

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 12:35 pm

In true Hedda fashion, I anticipated her to call out Judge Brack on his old man grossness and confess her lack of a baby to Tesman. Perhaps even attempt to light Thea's head on fire affraid. However, instead of leaving her final word she left solely for the purpose of liberating herself from her life. Her refusal to submit was clearly greater than the price of her own life, not many would do the same. (To be honest I don't think she has a care in the world if they found out she burned the manuscript or if any of the other lies came out...so I don't think she's a coward in any sense of the word) This play was dynamic!
Back to top Go down
christinaJ

christinaJ

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 1:28 pm

I think the ending was just alright, but if a person were to see the play, I really think it would knock their socks off because it was so dramatic. I love Hedda's manipulative and strong character, but towards the end we see her go through a complete meltdown into her own self destruction. There is irony that Hedda, who was once in charge, is now powerless over others. It is surprising how although Brack seemed to like Hedda very much in the beginning, he would turn her in as being the cause of Eilert's death just for his own personal gain. What a dirty old man! Twisted Evil Death was the only way Hedda could once again regain the control and power she once had. Although she knew she could not have power over others, she still had power over herself. I can still see Hedda as a strong character because she took charge of her life and realized that everything she did has consequences. She made a perfect decision in killing herself, although I would have liked it much more for killing Brack too. Killing Brack would have further shown her true strength.
Back to top Go down
I.Phillips

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 4:06 pm

I thought the ending of Hedda Gabler was very, interesting. To be completely honest the ending is what i least expected. More than anything i thought Hedda would take a gun out and shoot everyone else. So in a way I did find it ironic that at the end of the play the strongest, most willed character in the play ends up taking the easy way out.
Back to top Go down
BCallison

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 7:02 pm

I really enjoyed the ending to this play. I felt that Hedda got what she deserves. She tried so hard to have power over everyone’s lives and once Judge Brack got power over hers she couldn’t stand it and went into the other room for the gun. I was completely caught off guard when she killed herself. I was expecting her to grab the pistol and shoot Judge Brack, Mr. Tesman, and Mrs. Elvsted, but not herself.
Back to top Go down
kielbasaSausage1

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 9:19 pm

I found the ending of Hedda Gabler to be refreshing, as it was not overly complicated. I believe that Hedda ultimately kills herself because she knows that she cannot live comfortably knowing that Jusge Brack has power over her. However, although I see this as a rather simple ending, I'm sure there are many different interpretations out there, and maybe it's not as simple as I see it.
Back to top Go down
Gina44

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2006 11:15 pm

The ending to Hedda Gabler was definitely necessary. Theres no point in building up the entire story only to leave her as the nice guy in the end. She took care of what she needed to, it fit her part perfectly. Maybe it wasnt the best decision, but either way, it worked. It was somewhat satifying. Not to be mistaken for enjoyed, but if was fulfilling knowing that she turned out to be who she was throughout the novel. Her part was giving out the negative energy, while trying to maintain calm through her manipulations. Overall, I liked the end of the novel because it put everything in place.
Back to top Go down
mhandf12

Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2006 7:50 am

I think the ending was very fitting. Hedda finally got what she deserved. Unfortunately she had to go a ruin everyone elses life before killing herself, but they are better off without her. Especially Tesman and Thea who seem to be attracted to one another in spite of Lovborg's death. I guess Hedda did prove her point in her own wacky way, but at least she isn't causing anymore unnecessary drama. I do think, however, that this work would be much more effective if seen rather than read, and the actress who plays Hedda would have to be very powerful.
Back to top Go down
AnnaL

Registration date : 2006-09-19

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2006 6:36 pm

At first I was a bit disappointed with the ending because I expected something more dramatic. I really wanted Hedda to run wild and kill Judge Brack or Mrs. Elvsted or something but as I think about it more, the ending suited the play well. I don't think she had anything left to live for, especially since Judge Brack had complete power over whether or not the authorites would link the pistol to her. Shooting herself portrays the core of her character, how unwilling she is to yield herself to others and how she must be in control of others and herself all the time. I liked how she stayed true to her character. The ending shows how the impression one gets from her in the end is exactly the same as the one you get from the moment she first steps on stage.
Back to top Go down
AustinL

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2006 9:32 pm

The end of Hedda is fitting. Throughout the book Hedda manipulates and lies to form a web. In the end she got caught in her own web and decided she could not bear it. It is sad that George had to be a part of the ploy, for all he knew he was married to a loving wife. Hopefully George and Mrs. Elvsted will get together and have lots of babys while writing a best seller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Ending of Hedda Gabler   POST:  Ending of Hedda Gabler - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next